Leadcore

scuba2000

Hi,I have been using Stomp's for info.all summer long, great site for info.Helped me find the spots and baits for perch,bass,and pike, with good success.This summer I would like to try leadcore for bows and eyes.I went to Anglers outfitters he set me up with reels,poles and line,very helpfull.What I would like to know is when you set out your colors.(Each color is 5ft in depth)If i want to get 30ft is the sixth color at the tip of the rod or at water level.Any other info that would help me would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

What you want to do is keep an open mind around depth. Just cause you want to fish 30ft. deep does mean that is what the fish want. Change your depth a few feet now and then till you find the depth that is working and then go with that. Boat speed, current, wieght, lure type, and so on all make a difference in how deep your presentation goes. Don't be afraid to experiment, slow down, speed up and so on. Pay attention when you catch a fish, were you turning? Did that bring the lure up or down, faster or slower? (Depends which side of the boat on the turn get it) Also what catches fish in June might not work in August, or even what worked in the morning might no work in the afternoon. Keep an open mind, experiment, and pay attention, these are my tips and I hope they help you.
Catch em All!

Yellowfever

always have all the lead in the water. You run the chance of damaging the line if it is bouncing around with the boat above the water line. That is why you need multiple set ups with different amount of colours on each.

most leadcores whether it be the 18, 27, or 36 lb versions will sink at very similar rates, this is due to the diameter increase and weight increase. These nearly cancel out when you look at the additional fluid drag the extra diameter causes in relation to the additional mass.

You need to also understand how thermoclines and water density changes setup in the water column coupled with speed and currents. If your trolling slower you will see more depth out of the core, if faster less depth. If there is a strong thermocline the density change of the water and movement of the water will cause the core to float in this region and not penetrate to the deeper water. Currents also affect the depth.

Best rule of thumb is 4 to 5 ft per colour, and if you have a thermocline 5 to 10 ft above the deepest your core can reach, your likely not going to penetrate through unless the lines on an inside board on a turn. assuming no current or this is the speed at the ball 1.5-2.0 mph you will see 5 nearly 5.5 ft per colour, 2.5 mph you will see 4.5-5 ft and 3 at most 4 ft per colour.

as for running the core its always best to get all of the core in the water, its nice to have the luxury of having rods setup for exact segments of core and to be able to get the backing into the water also. If you do not have this luxury be sure to get all of the last counted section into the water. You can adjust your depth by adding more or less.

The key to this is repeatability, if your catching fish with so many colours out plus a fraction just repeat it each time, set it let it ride, if no go, adjust until you catch then repeat.

good luck!

wildreels_banner.jpg

www.wildreels.com​

Thanks for all the info a great deal of help, just can't wait to try trolling for the big ones.Hoover I have one reel to load up should i put on backing, six colours then some more line then four colours,would this work better for me. I will be fishing lake erie.

Thanks again for all the help.Scuba 2000

always let out 30' of line out after the last colour so the lead can sink to the desired level. If you only have one reel, make it a BIG one that can be spliced, eg. 5 colour then 30 ft. of mono/braid, then 3 colours for later in the season when the fish are deeper.use everyones ideas, they are all great tips.

Blastr

If you decide to run planer boards {inline or with a mast} DO NOT clip onto leadcore as it will break inside core leading to line break off. Also be careful straighten out kinks {if you get any} once again you break inside core. There's my two cents of experience that could save $$$$$ in the long run.

Hi there. I've been reading posts for the past year and have finally decided to join the forum.I'm getting rigged for pickeral and bows for next season and have 2 rods ready for leadcore. I didn't know that you should have all of the leadcore in the water. I bought 2, 200yd. spools of 27lb. and was going to spool up with just the leadcore and my fluoro. leader. Does anyone do this or do you all have backing, leadcore,then leader, having all the leadcore in the water. What kind of damage will the leadcore receive if it's not all in the water. Thanks for all replies.

hi, i run some braided backing then 10 colours of leadcore, then about 25ft of floro leader. i haven't ever heard of the need to run more then 10 colours (300 ft) in 55-65ft of water. some people put on 7 colors then a 30 ft spacer then another colour then a spacer, etc...up to 10 colors..this could be done to use leadcore on a planer board, also allows all the colour in the water and no chance of damaging the colours not in the water.

My idea is to spool up with just leadcore and my fluoro. leader, with a rod out each side of the boat. I am not going to use planer boards.

2girls, this is just a suggestion I have 20 leadcore rods on my boat if I had to choose only 2 core rods they would be a 5 and 7 colour with braid backing and a 12 foot floro leader they will be the best producers. My #1 leadcore rod last year was a 4 colour with all the core in the water and 50 feet of backing, this can also be achieved with a 5 colour with only 5 feet of backing out and the 7 colours always catch fish. If the fish go deeper in mid day you can let out 50 feet of backing snap on a 2 or 3 oz snap weight and let out another 50 feet of backing that will get you down another 10 to 12 feet. I would also strongly suggest you run the core on inline boards get the lines away from the boat so that you can run a couple dipseys which I believe are the most effective way to catch walleye.

Thanks for the info. Walleye Obsession. I have 2 dipsy rods that I was going to run to the outsides and have the leadcore straight back. The rods I have for the leadcore are medium action downrigger rods and are likely too limber for inline planer boards. This set-up is similar to my brothers set-up that he uses on Lake Ontario for salmon. He has 2 downriggers and 2 dipsys out the sides on a 3 setting. Any feedback is great, thanks.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks