Leadcore ,Long verses short leaders

Outcast

Ok, in another post it has been brought to my attention that there is a question as to how long the leaders should been following the leadcore line.I have used long (50- 100') for the last couple of years . Now I am hearing that shorter is better (thats the first time I:D've ever heard that in my life !!) . Does anyone have a good reason for this?

From what ive read in the posts about shorter lead lines off leadcore the lures flow better with the whipping action of the leadcore line.Personally I use a 50ft lead,but you probably get a better fluttering action with a shorter lead.

Tcat is right about the leader being to long affecting the action of your lures with leadcore. I personally never use more than 15-20 ft. of leader and use only 20# fluorocarbon. Combine that with a good quality 20# ball bearing swivel and you will catch more walleye and bows on your leadcore set-up than you ever dreamed possible. Leadcore like anything else has it's cons but catching fish is definitely not one of them.

Short leads with a good bb swivel is the key to using leadcore to its full advantage. I personally hate the stuff and never use it when I am fishing by myself or just for fun but almost always put it out when paying customers are involved.

As I posted in the other thread " Try to find STRINGEASE swivels" these snaps are great and come in different sizes. I started using them after fishing the Owen Sound Salmon Spectacular several years ago. They have a unique lock that will not come undone even with the most aggressive strike. I've had salmon and rainbows pop the cross lock snaps before. Haven't had one pop a Stringease swivel yet in over a decade of using them. You will get the best action from your hardware with these guys.

Get them at Angling Outfitters. I know Jos carries them.

Or you can use Torpedo ball bearing swivels. I have never had 1 break on me yet or come unfastened either. And they are made in London Ontario.

I used to use about 75-100 feet of mono behind the lead core. Seemed to work fine but did have a problem a couple of times with the mono getting in behind the reel at side...so when this would happen I would have to break it off and ended up with only about 20 feet of mono...actually found fishing improved with that amount of leader so now that is how I have it all the time.
Cheers !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks