Launching Boat alone

N8r

Since the addition of the swimming pool, I can't seem to convince the family to go out in the boat anymore. Does anyone have any tips for launching alone?

Thanks

Wrap your front rope around the bar near your winc. boat comes off but stays relatively close as it is tethered. I also like to throw rope from rear of the boat up as close to front as possible so I can grab both front and rear ropes from the front. Good luck.

Use a rope...I launch mine alone alot. Get that sweet spot on trailer and push off. Use rope to tie up. Wear sandles as you may get wet !! Putting on trailer is reverse. I get it close can walk on trailer tounge use winch and bingo. Truck bumper to ground and pull out. Of course my boat only a 17 foot a bigger boat may be different for you guys

Reactions: N8r
I frequently fish alone and use launches where there are no other fishermen lurking around which could give me a hand. I am sure there are better ways of doing this but this is mine.
All gear in boat, keys in boat ignition, back into ramp but not into water, insert drain plug, remove tie downs, remove winch line and safety chain, attached line from front of boat to dock post (next to ramp) watch that tie rope does not get under boat trailer tires as you back fully in. Move quick enough in reverse that boat floats free of trailer. Line keeps boat from floating away. Pull vehicle out, secure boat to dock, park vehicle, go to boat and limit out fishing.

Really the tricky park is the line to the dock from the boat, start fairly snug so as you back up and develop slack in the line it does not get under wheels or hung up somewhere on trailer.

Let me know if this is helpful

Rick

2 tips:

1 - watch the wind. If you're at a launch with multiple bays, make sure you're on the side where the wind will blow your boat into the dock, rather than into the other side of the ramp.

2 - make an "open seat" post on Stomps. Lots of great people on here who don't have a boat and would love the opportunity.

I pull approx. 6 ft of the winch strap out and leave it hooked to the boat. Back in, the boat floats off the trailer but doesn't float away. I leave both bow and stern ropes out for easy grabbing. once boat is floating , tie off to dock, unhook winch strap and park trailer. The KEY is to be prepared when your boat hits the water. All ropes, all tackle, net, snacks........ everything in the boat and ready to drive away once you get back from parking the trailer. I fish alone a lot as well.

I get mine all loaded up and untie from trailer then just back in far enuff that it dont float off but can pull it off tie it to dock go park and the get away from dock

no pushing or floating here...unhook your winch strap & chain first ...i launch mine right off and in with a quick touch on the brake...sure the bow rope is long enough & tied up to handle of the winch..

back on theres only one right way...for both of my boats I back my trailer until the front roller for the keel is inches out of the water..and i can see the top of the rear bunks or rollers..my fibrglass..trailer is rollers.. my aluminum is bunks...some launches are steep..most are gradual...

another tip is drop your tailgate on the truck and look directly behind you...you will be able to back your trailer up with precision..if your a little shakey hit the launches when its less busy...the more you do it at most of the launches ..it gets easy...I don't want any help unless the wind is blowing hard..and thats rare

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks