Off Topic Last kick at the can.

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Well it looks as if this will be my last season fishing the waters of Port Glasgow. With all the price increases and the zoo at the ramps I will most likely look for a storage place closer to home for this winter and fish next year out of Port Stanley or Port Bruce which is much closer to my home in London.

Trailer your boat
Learn to winterize yourself

You do those two things you will save thousands.

Don’t need insurance but I would suggest you keep it.
Fish for walleye later half of July through August only when the fishing is hot. Less time on the water burn less fuel. Save $$$
Store boat in driveway.

I hear you tho! EVERYTHING has become stupid expensive in Canada

I heard Walleye was going for 15-16 bucks a pound and Perch were 22-23 bucks a pound ?
Yes, some of the prices are nuts! I am just about to run out of fish for the weekly fish fry (usually on Fry-days lol), so at grocery store prices I figure I’ve done OK. Plus it’s fun!

Scrimmy I hope you have a good season and that when you’re using the launches closer to home you’ll like them.

Trailer your boat

Fish for walleye later half of July through August only when the fishing is hot. Less time on the water burn less fuel. Save $$$
Store boat in driveway.

What he said. I winterize in my driveway. Storage was a matter of making a bolt together 2x4 frame fit to my boat for snow load. Again only a one time deal. I can take it apart in the summer and store in my shed. I trailer everywhere because of where I live, but I don’t think I’d pay docking even if I lived close. I too only fish the hot windows when there is a lot of fish around. I fish other species or trailer where the fish are at other times. I get a lot of variety out of the cost of not paying marina fees. Same with winterizing and storage. Going to a slightly smaller boat was also a huge deal. That may not be for everyone though, but I’d still take my boat on Erie without question! I tow with an SUV now that gets better mileage in general and is much cheaper to fill. Easier to launch and load as well.

Trailer your boat

Store boat in driveway.

Absolutely true

I guess one good thing about all the cost is there is more offers to split the cost going out with someone else meeting new people .The world we live in with the internet and tech has changed the way we communicate so much even the kids grand kids and friends would rather text than visit or call on a phone being an old fart something I miss so maybe it's not all bad:unsure::unsure::unsure:

According to my poor record keeping, I fished 26 days, so 26 X launch fees = ???

Travel is 1 1/2 hrs each way so towing that many trips that distance would be quite costly.

I have a slip and traveling back and forth in my car vs Neighbour's truck is 1/4 the cost.

I do all my own maintenance and store the boat in my driveway.

I'm not sure which version, docking vs trailering would be more expensive for me, but the convenience of driving to the dock bypassing the line and launching/retrieving without interference is worth a huge amount. LoL 🌻

Last edited:
According to my poor record keeping, I fished 26 days, so 26 X launch fees = ???

Travel is 1 1/2 hrs each way so towing that many trips that distance would be quite costly.

I have a slip and traveling back and forth in my car vs Neighbour's truck is 1/4 the cost.

I'm not sure which version, docking vs trailering would be more expensive for me, but the convenience of driving to the dock bypassing the line and launching/retrieving without interference is worth a huge amount. LoL 🌻
Spending time fishing with Bill the neighbour = priceless @hvyhaul

@hvyhaul its is $20 to launch almost everywhere, so $520 for your year. And you are right about fuel ... even in the same vehicle, I get a heck of a lot better fuel economy without dragging my trailer behind. From Cambridge to Burwell, with launching and fuel it is about $100 for the day to get on the water, and probably $30 more in fuel for the boat.

I don't get out often enough to make renting a slip worth it, but I can see how the math and convenience work out for many people.

Just because I like to keep my cheapskate muscles in shape:

26 launches x $20 = $520 (so you'd likely buy a pass and pay less than this)

My car is about 6L/100km. My truck when towing is about 18L/100km. Lets say you're going 200km total so the difference is 24L per trip. You still have to tow the boat down and back so we'll call it 24 trips saving 24L, which means saving 576L or roughly $864.

So you're saving $1384 by my napkin math. I don't know what a slip or a launch pass costs for a season but I'm sure that whatever you're paying is worth it for 25 days with no launch lineups, no trailer circle checks and no towing stress. Maybe towing stress isn't a thing for a man of your vocation though ;)

@anonymoose , my head hurts. (I know better than to say smarts around here) LoL

My Sonata, a hybrid, gets 4s and low 5s currently. It used to get 3s and 4s but Hyundai did a self preservation software update which hurt the car's mileage. Either way I think I'm break even or ahead on the cost.

Yeah, like you said, towing/driving is a non issue for me. 🌻

Just because I like to keep my cheapskate muscles in shape:

26 launches x $20 = $520 (so you'd likely buy a pass and pay less than this)

My car is about 6L/100km. My truck when towing is about 18L/100km. Lets say you're going 200km total so the difference is 24L per trip. You still have to tow the boat down and back so we'll call it 24 trips saving 24L, which means saving 576L or roughly $864.

So you're saving $1384 by my napkin math. I don't know what a slip or a launch pass costs for a season but I'm sure that whatever you're paying is worth it for 25 days with no launch lineups, no trailer circle checks and no towing stress. Maybe towing stress isn't a thing for a man of your vocation though ;)
13 launches is normal and for 600 you can leave your boat on your trailer at Collins

I just got the winter tires taken off the car, the summers put on, and an oil change. That cost me $200+ after taxes. Last fall doing the same thing only cost me $160 after taxes.

I picked up a new aerator for my bait bucket AA batteries for the tv remotes, C cells for my other aerator, and D cells for the new one and that cost me $90. (last year my old aerator wasn't doing the job to keep them alive in the 5 gal pail I use as a bait bucket, so this year I'm going to try using two aerators and see if that makes a difference)

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks