Largemouth Sun Aug 19/12 inner bay

spilliard1

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Spent the day fishing Largies today! Landed 12 bass 6 pike and countless rockies. These are the two biggest. They were 3.3 lbs and 4.2 lbs on my digital scale. Only one of the bass was under 2 lbs!All were released. Perfect day on the water!
aug192012001.jpg

Spilliard

Nice fish! I've been wondering how the bass fishing was down that way and now I'm gonna have to make the trip for some largies. PM sent.

Looks like you had an awesome day. I have been dying to get some bucketmouths for the past while but don't know where to find them. Not asking you to spill any secrets but were you in the shallows or were they still out deep?

Wow! sounds like on heluva dayon the bay for sure! good for you!

what were you guys using for bait, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, for posting the pics.

Skip.:D

The water in the bay is down a bit so the edges are shallow and very choked with weeds. You gotta get out in deeper water and find weed puffs. These puffs hold fish this time of year. All your basic largemouth lures will get em. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, flippin stuff etc. just gotta find what they like that day. Good luck!

Spilliard

Nice job Spilliard!! Looks like you had a great day! Something came up on Sunday, couldn't make it out. Going to give it a go this weekend.

One more question, if they were out deep were you still in the inner bay or had you moved up along the outer bay or just directly out into Erie? Also, this may be a stupid question, but do you have a DSI fish finder & if not how do you find the weedbeds when you are out in deeper water and can't see them from the surface?

I'm in the inner bay. I'm usually west of ec 10. The best way to locate these weedbeds is to go out one day with stronger winds and sunny skies! The weed puffs will be easier to see in the bigger rolling waves. The sun will make them stand out. They will be big dark spots. Use a gps to mark the ones you find so they are easier to find next time out! I have close to 200 marked some very small some very big! Good luck! I'll post with more of my trips out. I'm out 2 or 3 nights a week and on the weekends!

Spilliard

Thank you for the info. Was in the inner bay yesterday & found various weedbeds both south and west, but did not get even 1 bite. Tried craks, flipping, jigging various soft plastics with various colours and nothing worked. Ended up just going towards Millionaires and got a bunch of small stuff just to catch something.

Thanks for the great info. It is very helpful for a novice like me. If you don't mind I have one more question. During what time period do the largemouth use these weeds. I am hoping to do some fishing for them in September and October. Thanks.

Riverguy, I went out last year in mid Sept to all the way points I had marked for weedbeds for smallmouth that were good during the summer.
All the weeds were gone!! I think that once the sun gets too low in the sky the reflection of the rays is too great and the weeds die off?

Captain Idiot, don't get discouraged by one trip with no fish. There are so many weedbeds out there. Just keep plugin you'll get em. Stay west of ec10 between it and pt rowan and it and booth's. Find the small solo weedbeds instead of big weedbeds. Its more moving around but it will be worth it trust me. Redriverguy, the largemouth will be on these weedbeds right into the fall. Sept brings cool nites and water temps. That kills off the sparse weeds but the big weedbeds will stick it out till late in the season. I've been out fishing pike in early dec and the big weeds are still there. I stop fishing largemouth when the water temps hit 64F and lower. My focus turns to the pike. They'll bite for three months in the fall. Starting in sept thru til early dec with water temps as low as 38F.

Spilliard

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks