Lake St. Clair Walleye - when?

Puggz

Happy spring everyone, after a dismal winter I'm excited to get out and drag some harnesses in LSC. I recall doing well there in May last year but when does it really start to heat up?

TIA!

P.

The guys I knew that lived down in that area used to tell us that when the lilacs start to bloom it was time to start walleye fishing in St. Clair . There's some around year round but that was when they hit it hard .

I'm not sure about the lilacs scenario this year. The bite is on. I've limited out in previous years in a couple of drifts, so not hot yet, but getting there. Yesterday it took about 8 drifts. We were jigging. I have cousins that have been catching for the last two weeks. My boats not ready yet so I went out yesterday with them and we knocked off a 3 man limit in less than four hours. Could have been in half the time but twice our limit was probably lost in the first two or three cranks of the reel. Very frustrating but we got some nice eaters. All males between 16" and 20" with two at 22". Most of the males were all milked out. Water temp was 42 degrees. Dozens of boats out where we were. After yesterday and seeing the early season start my boat will be ready on the weekend

I grew up close to Mitchell's Bay and spent many days on Lake St Clair, love that lake.

Lilac bloom was always THE signal. Meant water was warming, weeds were growing, baitfish, bugs and perch fry were hatching.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks