Lake Ontario

Helmut

So I think i will try lake ontario west end for some browns this weekend. Can so of you help me out with proper lures to use and good spots to launch from? I would like to know what speeds to run at as well.
What are concidered favorable winds for that area as well please. I have a 19ft Tracker deep vee.

Thanks all

Right now the fish should be in close to the shore . Flatlining body baits works good . Orange coloured ones work good on browns this time of year. If you can find a mud line start there . I use the ramp at Fishermans Pier at Burlington right under the skyway bridge $ 12 to launch . Bronte is $18 .Try the spoonpullers website check the north shore reports . http://www.spoonpullers.com/ Let us know how you made out .

Yes sir the fish are in very close, but you should be going down to Port Dalhousie and trolling towards Jordan. Bronte and that area doesn't get very good until end of may. Every spring the Jordan / Dalhousie area is "the" top producer for brown trout and the spring salmon will be appearing there soon too. Dragging body baits, like rapalas, jointed or not works best. Off of planer boards about 100- 150' back is best. It seems anything with some orange on it works pretty good, like perch colours. Try anything you have though, you never know. Shallow means less that 15' of water with the boards in tight in as little as 6-8' of water. Good luck.

Heard guys were catching browns from shore in Grimsby as well as a shallow board bite with jointed J-13s and Storm Hot n Tots down that end of the lake.....

Because of the cold spring with water temps still in the high 30's the fishing has been extremely slow. The heavy rains we're getting this week will definitely help to raise those temps but will also cause some very muddy water in shallow. I would save your gas and wait another week to give things a chance to clear up. I have fished the BIG "O" since the early 70's so I would recommend to forget the north shore until around the end of May. The south shore is the place to be all through the spring, anywhere from Jordon Harbour to the Niagara bar. I agree with big guy that planer boards work best in the shallows flat lining body baits back 100-150 ft. although small spoons such as Little Cleo's or Manistee's also produce well. Colours in blue/silver, orange/silver, gold/silver, rainbow or brown trout have always worked for me. Simply put, if it imitates smelt or alewife they will crush it. As the spring progresses the fish will continue to move to deeper water then the fishing really picks up as you will not only catch browns but bows, lakers, cohoes and kings and sometimes even an Atlantic salmon. For launching I use Port Dalhousie a 4 ramp launch @$12 at St Catharines fish & Ass. at 61 Lighthouse Rd. St Catharines, ON L2N 7P4 or Jordon Harbour Marina off the North Service Rd. at Jordon and you can find directions online for either.

I just wanted to also mention just in case you are unaware but you do need an official nautical chart for Lake Ontario. If the OPP or MNR check you they will charge you a fine of $285 which can ruin your day. I haven't heard of anyone being charged here on Lake Erie as of yet for not having one but they have been pinching everyone they catch on Lake Ontario. It's a great fishery and I wish you well.

TRANSPORT CANADA
Carry and use official nautical Charts and publications - plan to avoid local hazards
it’s the Law!

To help make navigation safer, you
must carry the following for each
area you plan to boat in:
• the latest edition of the largest
officially produced chart available; and
• the latest edition of related
documents and publications,
including Notices to Mariners, Sailing
Directions, tide and current tables,
and the List of Lights, Buoys and
Fog Signals.
You are required to carry the above list
of navigational charts and publication
even if you are operating a boat under
100 gross tons. You can be exempted
only if you know the area sufficiently
well. This knowledge includes:
• the location and type of charted:
– shipping routes;
– lights, buoys and marks;
– boating hazards; and
• the area’s usual boating conditions,
such as tides, currents, ice and
weather patterns.
Before heading out, you should make
sure you know:
• how to plot a course;
• how to determine your position; and
• how to use:
– a compass along with
nautical charts;
– electronic navigation equipment;
and
– references such as tide tables,
Canada’s buoyage system,
navigation lights and signals, Notices
to Mariners and Sailing Directions.
Avoid potential danger by steering
clear of rapids and currents, and be
sure not to obstruct commercial
navigation in commercial shipping
channels.
The Canadian Hydrographic Service
(CHS) is the official source for supplying
navigational publications, raster BSBs
and vector Electronic Navigational
Charts (ENCs) in Canada’s waters. Under
the Charts and Nautical Publications
Regulations made pursuant to the
Canada Shipping Act, 2001 boaters
must use charts issued officially or on
the authority of the CHS. You can buy
official paper and digital charts from
authorized chart dealers. For more
information or to find the nearest
authorized chart dealer, please visit
www.charts.gc.ca or contact the
CHS at 1-866-546-3613 or at
chsinfo@dfo-mpo.gc.ca . ”

Do we still need hard copy even if we have electronics on board and navionics downloaded on Iphone?

moocow...I know it's ridiculous and makes no sense but yes by law you still do need the paper chart, unfortunately. The only exception is if you are able to satisfactorily convince the officer you sufficiently know the area of water your in. But insanely it's solely up to their discretion regardless if it's the Coast Guard, OPP or MNR. This is what it states you must know in order to satisfactorily know the area: This knowledge includes:• the location and type of charted:– shipping routes;– lights, buoys and marks;– boating hazards; and• the area’s usual boating conditions, such as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.

If they check you on Lake Ontario they will ask all those requirements and you better know all the answers or they will charge you. Remember it's solely up to them and they don't care if you have been fishing there for 40 years like I have or not. It's just simply another way to generate more revenue for the Ontario Government to throw against the wall and I have no doubt it won't be long before they start fining us on Lake Erie and the other lakes as well. It stinks but it's just easier to buy the $20.00 chart and have it with you at all times than to have them ruin a fun day of fishing. :eek:

they do not consider electronics 100% reliable to functioning while on the lake because of deadzones or power issues and what have you....kind of like human error....so a hard copy of a map present means 100% reliable in their eyes...it is excessive yes but it really is meant to thwart the numbskulls who go out without any knowledge blindly un-benounced of the dangers that they can and will face. I am positive that there are thousands of rescues made that no one hears about of boaters going out and thinking its just a nice drive through the park...last year two boneheads were heading out on erie with a 14 foot aluminum boat 9.9 merc. 10 miles for walleyes ???? later that day there were 3 footers and it was a struggle to get my 16 foot bowrider 50 merc.in from 5 miles... I think this sport and boating in general has become more popular and with it comes the sh#$@% t heads that wreck it for the rest of us. Giving away $20.00 is better than $280.00 and if checked they probably wouldn't bother you again

This is a totally sarcastic post and I hope provides some humour.

I am in the middle of Lake Ontario, in a twelve foot boat with no GPS, no Compass, no local knowlege, and the weather is 1/4 mile visibilty but I have the Chart so I am legal if the authorities could find me. I also don't have a marine radio or the licence required by law to operate what I don't have. I do have that little orange container I bought at Canadian Tire so I have a whistle, a small rope and a water tight flashlight that by the way isn't water tight, but I am legal because I have a chart that by the way, ( even though it's that latest release ) is not up to date because things change and now I need to acess information that only professional ship Captains have. But hey, I am still legal even though on a beautifull sunny day I couldn't tell anyone were the heck I was other than in the middle of Lake Ontario!

The Chart is meaningless unless I have the ability to estsblish where I am on the Chart with relative accuracy.

Oh boy.

Cheers, Clark

My point exactly....if this nitwit had his or her proper license then nitwit would have learned critical info on avoiding this life threatening situation

Picked up the west end of Lake O and entire Lake Erie. Those charts are huge. Going to fold them like road maps and stick in zip lock bags I think. Laminating them is 50 bucks a shot so not worth it when they only cost 20 bucks a chart

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks