Lake Ontario

Ken Rotchill

What would be a good Port to go out of on Lake Ontario this time of year?

I know the rainbows are in the lower Niagra river now....so you could launch just below the Queenston bridge....that way you can either drift the river or head out and fish the lake @ the mouth of river.

other wise only spots ive fished on Ontario was : Fifty points marina, and Bronte ! water drops off fairly quick and you don't have too go very far off shore.

This time of year I would fish near the mouths of creeks and rivers. probably start shallow 45-50' and go from there. as sun comes up start moving out deeper unless your marking and catching fish

fishermans pier by the lift bridge large ramp 14 for lounge great bunch of guys go out of there just ask someone there and they well put you on fish

Last edited:
The Port Dalhousie ramp on Lighthouse Rd. in St. Catharines. Excellent double concrete ramp and when out of port puts you right on the fish at this time of year. I like trolling between Port Dalhousie and Jordon Harbour or you can go the other way to the Niagara Bar. :)

Hi guys what would be a go to setup for early season salmon. crankbaits on planers,what types ,colours etc

Hi guys what would be a go to setup for early season salmon. crankbaits on planers,what types ,colours etc

Any body baits that imitates an alewife below in silver/blue back or silver/black back you can't go wrong. Here's a few good ones for early season on Lake O but spoons can be good at times as well. I like using them off planers if fish are in shallow water. Hope this helps. :)

RAPALA: J-13 jointed, flat raps, x-raps, shadow raps & shadow rap shads
LIVE TARGET: rainbow smelt banana bait, blue back herring swimbait
YO-ZURI: crystal minnow
alewife.jpg

Hey guys I am heading to port Dalhousie tomorrow with my old man for a first time on lake Ontario. Any tips of how deep to fish, what colours are hot and how fast you troll and do you guys use inline weights to get down or just run baits right of the boards?

This time of year fish should be fairly shallow, I havnt been out yet this year. I would try getting lures down to the 25-40' range . I would setup in 55-80 FOW and if don't mark anything then head out deeper, especially if sunny day. 2.2 - 3 mph is speed i try to run! but every day could be different. Black / silver & blue /silber spoons work well, ive used the usually favorites: Greasy chicken, blueberry muffin, yellow tails, and did well. Herring or anchovy rigs would do well also. I usually use riggers, dipsy divers and leadcore. but use what your most comfortable with.
Good luck

Thanks@puddle jumper hope we dont get blown around too much. NE/N winds around 10-20 km. How is the lake usually with those conditions?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks