Off Topic Lake Ontario Line?

Fisherboy

Got A downrigger rod/reel for Christmas & now got to put line on it. What's the best line to use to keep that stuff I call toliet paper off of it.
Would be using the rigger rod in Erie for walleye as well.
Will be using for salmon/trout in Ontario.
Thx in advancešŸ˜

I use 40lb mono to keep the fleas off. 17 lb leader for good action at the presentation. I almost lost the one in the pic last year on 30lb mono in late August. Even on mono the fleas were so bad I had to stop reeling for a couple minutes to peel them off, they completely stopped the retrieve. Fortunately 2 of the 3 hooks were well hooked and he was pretty tired at that point and went for a nap in the mud.

Attachments

• 30ish.jpg
    30ish.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 71
I use 40lb mono to keep the fleas off. 17 lb leader for good action at the presentation. I almost lost the one in the pic last year on 30lb mono in late August. Even on mono the fleas were so bad I had to stop reeling for a couple minutes to peel them off, they completely stopped the retrieve. Fortunately 2 of the 3 hooks were well hooked and he was pretty tired at that point and went for a nap in the mud.
That's a hog. Nice fishšŸ‘

For lake Ont. I use 40# big game for running a flasher-fly set and 30 for spoons. You can tie on any # test leader for ont or erie EG. 20# flouro on Ont. for spoons before the fleas start, then just cut off the leader. Erie may use 14 to 17# leader, but up to you. Also Thirstystone I think they quit making flea flicker years ago.

I also use a 30 lb big game on lake O in clear with no leader whasoever. Easier with a cheater this way. If I start collecting fleas I punish the lake for it by whipping it hard with my fishing rod, the fleas come right off:)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks