Fishing Report Lake O Salmon

Matt245

Fished lake O from 9am - 2. Went 3/4 on Kings. 2 fish over 10lbs and one low 20s. 80-120FOW, in-front of Bronte. Beautiful day. Hardly any bugs. All fish were caught up high.1DB0E88C-E473-4ABD-AD2D-92E15A1E50EE.jpeg

I am starting to see a pattern though I could be wrong... seems morning hours fish is in the upper 50ft, in the afternoon to evening off bottom.

@Matt245 how long were your lead from the rigger weight to the lure?

I am starting to see a pattern though I could be wrong... seems morning hours fish is in the upper 50ft, in the afternoon to evening off bottom.

@Matt245 how long were your lead from the rigger weight to the lure?
You could be quite right, although strangely enough we caught all 3 fish in the span of about an hour. Between 12:30 and 1:30. But that was once we had moved to another spot. Our leads from the canon balls were 15-25ft long.

You could be quite right, although strangely enough we caught all 3 fish in the span of about an hour. Between 12:30 and 1:30. But that was once we had moved to another spot. Our leads from the canon balls were 15-25ft long.
If I may suggest, next time make them 70-90 ft long after the ball. The bite is unpredictable, sometimes they are wild, sometimes they are spooky from the boat's noise, so perhaps longer leads may help. Tight lines.

If I may suggest, next time make them 70-90 ft long after the ball. The bite is unpredictable, sometimes they are wild, sometimes they are spooky from the boat's noise, so perhaps longer leads may help. Tight lines.
Thanks!
Actually, was told completely opposite by a Charter captain we were talking to. Was told to run shorter leads, as the canon balls sometimes attract the fish.

I sometimes run short and one long to see what the fish are preferring that day but at times short works great and other times I find longer works better. I just started running POW weights now so will see how things go.

Thanks!
Actually, was told completely opposite by a Charter captain we were talking to. Was told to run shorter leads, as the canon balls sometimes attract the fish.

Hmmmm... I was also told by another charter captain... lol... This is true, the balls attract fish. I usually run shorter leads in deeper water, on the botton downrigger rod when stacking.

But regardless of the charter captains, I do run longer leads. The idea is that if I see a fish on a fish finder at a certain depth, let's say, 30-40ft below the downrigger ball, I have about 5-10 seconds to drop the ball (and hence the bait) to the fish's depth/proximity/etc. This is semi-guessing, and it does put the bait further from the ball, which is attractant indeed, but it does work, a few of times we got a bite right after that. I suppose different lengths would be worth trying...

I run Long Leads of 75 to 100 ft. in the summer. Lead core and Wire Dipsy catches more fish then Riggers in the summer so I think the fish are spooked by the noise of the motor or even the shadow casted by the boat. Long leads catches more fish for me over short leads in the summer. Spring and Fall I run no shorter than 30 ft.

I usually run one long and one short lead.

But watch your fish finder....
If fish are streaking down ....fish are being spooked ...so lengthen your leads.

If fish are streaking up ....most likely attracted by cannon ball ....so shorten leads

Another reason why I sometimes run a shorter lead is .......I will add a flasher with a 2 'lead to the cannon ball .....then just add herring or spoon directly to clip foot above cannon ball ....back 6 -10 ' lead

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks