Lake fishable at 10-11 knots?

sterlingz

Spending the long weekend on North Lake Erie and am wondering what kind of winds are safe to venture out in. Generally 15km/hr (8-9 knots) is a loose maximum around these parts. I have a 17ft Crestliner Kodiak.

Looks like winds will be in the 10-11 knot range Friday and Saturday morning, should I even bother?

I was going to suggest that I personally would go at 10-11 knots if my opportunities were limited, I have a 21ft Lund, but windfinder is calling for closer to 20 then 10 and that would definitely be a no go for me

it really depends on wind direction and where your location is...and what size boat...we are entering a full moon phase....where brisk winds can be the norm...I try to put the odds in my favour for best bite and picking those right days to fish.. I like a light west..under 10 knots is nice....I also like overcast or cloud cover...and not so high BP...another factoring trend is our pics were coming up warm yesterday...I checked Noaa lake erie bottom temperature map and cold water has been squeezed to 2 locations on the entire lake..we landed one rainbow yesterday ...lol...I think he was lost..anyway some of our bigger pics were coughing up smelt which was a good thing...I took a look at the weekend windfinder extended forecast and the winds look brisk to me...but that can change..

if its unsettled weather conditions...I check exeter radar and enviroment Canada marine weather for warnings and watches.. like squalls & spouts..

hope you can find a window of light winds to make it out fishing on the long weekend, play it safe and good luck...

Last edited:
Hey Mick you are right about wind direction, currently in longpoint with an offshore north wind accordingWinderfinder at 20 k and its is dead calm on the beach. Not sure how far you would have to go offshore to see the effects of the wind.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks