Lake Erie's algae blooms threaten its survival

Here is a new twist to the debate.Everyone has had a fish bowl or tank at some time,a fish or two dies,the water quality goes down quickly depending on temperatures,and pollutes the water.How about all those fish tugs dumping all their unwanted fish to the bottom ,probably tons.Sheap head oversized fish and not allowed to harvest fish ect.Does this not effect water quality also creating bacteria to feed algae I do not think this practise helps especially in August when water temps are already high.It happens all over the lake on both sides.I'm not trying to bash the tugs but it is a thought.

If I remember my grade 9 biology the dead fish would actually give back to the water feeding protozoa that in turn feeds baby fish which feed bigger fish. It's the life cycle. What might look like polluted water to you in that fish tank is dinner for microbes. Something like that.

I work at Canada's largest wastewater treatment plant. We are under strict goverment regulations as to what and how much we are allowed to discharge into a watercourse during normal operations. Each plant has it's own criteria to meet. Unfortunatly weather is out of our control and in order to perserve our secondary treatment process{ which is a biological process} and plant equipment it is allowed by the MoE to by-pass primary effluent into the receiving waters after it has been disinfected. We use chlorine or sodium-hypochloride [bleach] to disinfect and ferrous chloride to remove phosphorous.

Goverment agencies have been monitering alge blooms on the Great Lakes for years so this is not something new. It does happen naturally but of course human activity has upset the balance and hence the increase in the blooms. Add in low water levels and warmer temperatures and YES agricultural {as in factory farms] and there is your recipe for disaster. As it's been pointed out , the ice cover, snow pack and colder than usual temperatures should help alleviate some of this years bloom.

Good documentry to watch "The World according to Monsanto".

More media coverage on the Great Lakes ice: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ctic-cold-for-spring-20140226,0,3674542.story

Fishing related info in there:

In the frigid winter of 1994, ice cutting on the lakes had to continue until May 18.
A long period of ice cover could devastate the populations of young fish in Lake Michigan, leading to a cascading drop in lake wildlife populations, said Solomon David, a fish ecologist at the Shedd Aquarium.

Minnows and other small fish that mate a year after they hatch could drop in numbers after a long cold spell, which would make catching dinner more difficult for walleye and perch, David said. At the same time, the eggs of whitefish, which incubate over the winter in the shallows of the lake and hatch in the spring, could have trouble surviving if the lakes warm late in the year.

“One little change in the food web can have an effect on the entire food web,” with populations of some fish taking a few years to recover, David said.

On the upside, all the ice likely will have the benefit of helping restore the water levels of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, which have been close to historic lows in recent years, Leshkevich said.

“If there’s a prolonged spring because the ice melt is slow, and the water temperatures are cold, that will likely slow evaporation further, and that may help the water levels,” Leshkevich said.

Something not mentioned in this thread is bio solids, a fancy word for human waste sludge from waste water treatment plants that's being used as fertilizer on nearly 60 million farms worldwide and increasing by the day. Not widely known by most people but it's been legally used in Ontario for over 30 years and now the warnings are circulating all over the place how dangerous this stuff really is. Some now believe it's what caused the ecoli water contamination in Walkerton that killed several people several years ago and who knows what else. This crap is not only full of phosphorous but filled with every contaminant and heavy metal known to man as we all have a general idea what gets flushed down the toilets everyday.

A farmer who's land I bow hunt on told me many years ago a friend of his used it on his farm land because chemical fertilizer is expensive and this stuff is basically free. He said what brought the red flag out for him was everywhere he put a shovel into the soil there were no worms, zero. He said I may be just a simple farmer but I know the land and something is terribly wrong with this picture. What is going into the lakes from run-off from this crap is scary to even imagine not to mention what going into the crops grown on it. The government says it safe and everything is safely within the guide lines. Yeah...I believe them, don't you??? I'm not an alarmist but we all know how the government conveniently lowers guide lines all the time to fit their so-called "new safety standards". The link below paints a pretty picture but do a search on the subject and be prepared for what comes up because it's anything but pretty.

http://www.halton.ca/living_in_halt...ing_program/biosolids_recycling_program_FAQs/

Last edited by a moderator:
I live outside of Woodstock and there is a dairy farm on the concession behind me who has doubled the size of his herd in the last five years. New barn went up a few years ago. He spreads the liquid manure almost every friday before a long weekend and his farm is right on a major ditch drain leading to a couple of creek watersheds. Don't get much for company on the long weekends but that's okay I get to go fishing instead!!

Aaaaah yes biosolids. It is strange that animals [including man] has been fertilizing the planet since time began ? The "biosolids" that get spread on fields [ in Ontario] are again under the control of the MoE. Those fields being forage crops or land reclaimation areas ie; land around Sudbury. It is against the law to use biosolids on any food crops meant for human consumption. As for phosphorous content and/or heavy metals ? I know for a fact here in Toronto due to industry moving out our levels have dropped significantly. So that leaves you with a product that is rich in phosphorous and nitrogen and trace heavy metal elements which believe it or not plants need. Most synthetic fertilizers are ammonia based as opposed to nitrogen based so long story short are worse for the enviroment. Fact; Sales for fertilizer will reach 200 billion dollars a year worldwide by 2018.

Last edited:
As for Walkerton..... a lot of people died or became very sick due to small town nepotism . They didn't even read a book but were put in charge of the towns drinking water....WTF ? I believe it was found that Well # 7 was contaminated by a nearby dairy farm and the new chlorinator unit was not hooked up yet but yet the well was still feeding into the system.

Aaaaah yes biosolids. It is strange that animals [including man] has been fertilizing the planet since time began ? The "biosolids" that get spread on fields [ in Ontario] are again under the control of the MoE. Those fields being forage crops or land reclaimation areas ie; land around Sudbury. It is against the law to use biosolids on any food crops meant for human consumption. As for phosphorous content and/or heavy metals ? I know for a fact here in Toronto due to industry moving out our levels have dropped significantly. So that leaves you with a product that is rich in phosphorous and nitrogen and trace heavy metal elements which believe it or not plants need. Most synthetic fertilizers are ammonia based as opposed to nitrogen based so long story short are worse for the enviroment. Fact; Sales for fertilizer will reach 200 billion dollars a year worldwide by 2018.

All that may be true but there's a huge difference between animal manure and biosolids. Human waste, of course, is far different from animal manure that's been gathered on small-scale farms of the past and present and applied in small quantities to crops -- biosolids is a toxic biohazard, while the latter is how crops have been fertilized for centuries. Just the pharmaceuticals flushed down toilets every day is scary enough let alone who knows what else. In Ontario it is legal to apply biosolids to field corn, soybeans, hay, pasture, commercial sod, fruit trees and grapes. No matter what the MOE tells us, this stuff will ultimately end up in the food and meat we eat, the milk and water we drink, that's the real issue.

The regulations in the U.S. are different which allows class A biosolids to be used on crops for human consumption with no restrictions, which of course is where the bulk of our fruits and vegetables come from during the off-season months. It is reported that in some areas of the country 90-95% of the biosolids are currently applied to local agricultural fields as a fertilizer and organic matter source. What kind of regulations they have in other countries where a lot of the food we eat is also grown is anyone's guess. In reality very little is known about this stuff and the long term impact is still undetermined but there are plenty of horror stories to go around in areas where biosolids are being used on an ever increasing basis.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/10/sewage-sludge-as-fertilizer-safe/#.UxMmsZqPI3s

As for Walkerton..... a lot of people died or became very sick due to small town nepotism . They didn't even read a book but were put in charge of the towns drinking water....WTF ? I believe it was found that Well # 7 was contaminated by a nearby dairy farm and the new chlorinator unit was not hooked up yet but yet the well was still feeding into the system.

It was actually well #5 that was contaminated, but anyway the inquiry did eventually place the blame on manure runoff from the farm. However, there was so much blame gaming going on by so many called witnesses from the provincial government as well as from the town of Walkerton and it's employees etc., etc., so who really knows absolutely with any certainty if that's the truth. All I'm saying is, that if manure run-off from a field can get into a well and contaminate it then definitely so can runoff from biosolid sludge.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks