Lady Erie's Last Laugh

anonymoose

Team @anonmymoose made it down for a 7:30 start and gave a neighbourly "hello" on my way out to @Cap'nkirk on my way out. He must have spied the precious cargo of young anglers, the janky rig I was captaining, and recalled my history of general bumblef@ckery, put all this together, and decided to tail us out to the fishing grounds to make sure we made it alive. Many thanks @Cap'nkirk !!

20220902_081252.jpg

It was a slow cruise out to 52' with lots of 4 footers. The pic doesn't do it justice. I'm normally a fairweather fisherman, but this being the time of year I normally turn my attention from fins to feathers and fur, I was itching to get one last trip in. There were conflicting wind forecasts, but it was dead calm at my place so I decided to give it a go.

The usual bumblef@ckery ensued. Started in 62 and headed toward shore. We got off to a decent start but it wasn't long before the crew was turning green. The action was hot and hard to keep lines in the water at times, and trying to coordinate steering and setting lines is tough for me at the best of times. A crew of 4 youngsters results in lots of lost fish and good laughs.

One highlight was when one of my young passengers (his first time out) took a dipsey rod with a fish on. I didn't pay much attention as I was steering. I turned around and noticed that the pole was slack.

"Did it get off?" I asked.

"No I'm still fighting it. I can feel a fish" was the reply.

I went back to steering. Time went on and I noticed that it was taking a heck of a long time for this kid to reel in a fish that is only 120' back at most. I turn around again to find him still reeling like a madman with no tension on his pole. I skip to the back of the boat and notice he's got the rod freespooling and he's got a thousand feet of line out. All my braid is in the water and he's peeling through mono like crazy. My dipsey rods have reels better suited for 10 colours, and they are full of line. I didn't know what I was doing when I bought my gear.

I flip the lever and the tension comes up. Junior can't even hold on to the line. We were assuming that it was either a shipwreck or a 12' sturgeon on the end, until the reality dawned on me that the dipsey wasn't tripped and was dragging on the bottom. Yanking desperately, I come to the realization that the stretch in the half mile of mono between me and the dipsey won't allow me to pop the release.

This was the first time that team @anonymoose fought a fish from a rod holder. It was pulling like a tank, so I hung up the rod and slow progress was made on reeling in the first 500 feet, until we struck braid. Once we hit braid the dipsey was tripped and we found out that the fish was still on. It had presumably been ambling around Erie carrying my dipsey with it while the line was on freespool. Another 500 feet later, and the farm animal was unceremoniously yanked aboard and set free to torment another angler.

The whole span of this episode wasn't very long. The crew was getting progressively green, and the captain was getting queasy too. The action dropped off at 60' and we made the decision to call it a morning.

We only wound up boxing 13 eyes and 1 bow before my crew was too green to carry on. There were 3 or 4 farm animals in there, mostly towards the end. By far the most damage was done on a pink panties spoon behind a wonderbread dipsey with ring, 90' back on a 1 setting.

Back at the launch we heard tales of boats turning around and giving up from the waves, several boats reporting 1 fish and one boat reporting 4. This made me feel better about the poor showing, but as usual I see @Cap'nkirk is reporting a limit. Here's the crew happily on dry land, they did well to keep good humour through their sickness.

This likely closes the team @anonymoose season, with Lady Erie getting the last laugh!

20220902_115115.jpg

I kinda feel bad no that you were queezy but because your great story telling will be done for another season. Enjoy your fish fry and get them stomachs settled. I may have to invite you out with the tailfeathers tech crew just to compare the chum color for the new Erie chum lure by tailfeathers lol.

I kinda feel bad no that you were queezy but because your great story telling will be done for another season. Enjoy your fish fry and get them stomachs settled. I may have to invite you out with the tailfeathers tech crew just to compare the chum color for the new Erie chum lure by tailfeathers lol.
I think everyone wants to be on that tech crew trip @tailfeathers ....lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks