knots

Ken Rotchill

What would be the best knot to tie when joining mono to leadcore?

agreed, double uni-knot is the best. You have to strip the lead out of 6-8" of the lead core and only use the outer braided part to tie the knot. Cut the end of the lead core clean and carefully push the outer sheath back until you can grab the tip of the lead, then slide the sheath back and snap off the lead.

Used to use the double uni but changed to Willis now as it's a lot smaller. Never had either one fail.

There are several good knots but the Willis or lead core knot as some call it is by far the best in my opinion. It is the fastest as well as easiest to tie and the thinnest knot for lead core making it a dream to go through your reel guide. I have never had it fail.

Last edited:
hey guys, I tired that knot as well and it worked great for attaching mono/flouro but I could not get braid to feed into the hole left by the lead. I use 15 lb power pro superslick 8, which is as limp as a 90 year old former steroid user even when new, but another braid may work better.

hey guys, I tired that knot as well and it worked great for attaching mono/flouro but I could not get braid to feed into the hole left by the lead. I use 15 lb power pro superslick 8, which is as limp as a 90 year old former steroid user even when new, but another braid may work better.

A willis knot is not really possible with braid but a double uni works fine. With the small diameter of the braid, the knot is still pretty small.

A willis knot is not really possible with braid but a double uni works fine. With the small diameter of the braid, the knot is still pretty small.
I use the Albright on the braid backing , as well as on my copper setups , I find the Albright quick if I break off on the water , trying to thread mono or leader material into the sheath on the water can be tough somedays if it's rough

For braid I use a thicker sewing needle hooking the braid through the eye then push into the sheath. Once your in to the lead then poke the needle through the sheath wall until needle is clear. Unhook your needle then gently pull the braid back until just inside the sheath, then finish tying your Willis knot.

Simple in the house or in calm water but I must admit I haven't tried tying it while in rough water so Disconnected Sportfishing may have a valid point. I'm retired so I try to avoid rough days on the water. :)

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks