Knots for 20-25lb Fluorocarbon

Jveri

Whats everyone use for knots when attaching heavy braid or fluoro to dispys/leadcore? I am using improved clinch knot for now just wanted to see what the general consensus was. Getting out trolling this weekend hopefully for the first time ever so just want to double check everything.

Thanks,

Leadcore to Flourocarbon I use a back to back uni-knot or will tie a small swivel that fits through my eyelets easily.
Flouro to Dipsy Palomar I found my clinch knots slipped sometimes.
Braid to Dipsy Palomar as well.
Good luck on the weekend!

Lead to Flouro: I used to use the back to back uni but just changed everything to Willis knots which seem to work great and are much smaller

Braid to Leadcore: Double Uni-knot or Albright

Braid to tackle: Palomar

Fluoro is anohter story. Knots are the death of fluorcarbon. I have lost lots of fish and broke off lots of gear due to knot breaks. I actually just put mono leaders back on my lead core since I never had too many issues with it until I went to fluoro. I did see this after I changed back and it looks like it would be better:

Look forward to other's responses on fluoro knots....

Last edited:
Thanks Greg......the drop shot knot looks like a winner. The Palomar knot definitely had issues when using fluoro. I never have problems with a simple once through Trilene knot with fewer wraps than mono but I retie often. I don't think I ever had a knot break when using it on jigs. As you know I jig fish a lot and have been using fluoro since it became popular. I still get the odd bite off even with 50 pound fluoro leader material when fishing pike but I find 50 is the heaviest I can use and still get an acceptable response. Actually I prefer 40# for pike.

Leadcore to Flourocarbon I use a back to back uni-knot or will tie a small swivel that fits through my eyelets easily.
Flouro to Dipsy Palomar I found my clinch knots slipped sometimes.
Braid to Dipsy Palomar as well.
Good luck on the weekend!

Does everyone tie directly to the release arm on the dipsys? I have a swivel on mine right now but have never used it as of yet..

I used to use the Albright or the nail knot but I now I love the Willis. @LongLines is right, super easy to tie, super strong and has a very small profile gliding easily through the level wind guide.

I would say the Albright knot or "Leadcore knot" is your best two options with flouro to lead core or braid. Also, always always wet the knot when tying flouro!!!!

I think we're all in agreement on the flouro to leadcore but what about flouro to the tackle?? Those are the ones where the breakage is worst.

I've had luck with a simple, Six-turn San Diego jam knot. This was the first knot my Dad taught me, and still use today 30 years later. Warning: Video is pretty dry. Lol

Last edited:
Braid or Mono to Leadcore... Willis knot... Leadcore to Fluro... Willis knot... Fluro to swivel... Palomar knot... I use only SEAGUR 20lb fluro... When tieing ANY knot with Fluro... LUBE IT UP... Knots are not the weakness of fluro... Heat is...

Braid or Mono to Leadcore... Willis knot... Leadcore to Fluro... Willis knot... Fluro to swivel... Palomar knot... I use only SEAGUR 20lb fluro... When tieing ANY knot with Fluro... LUBE IT UP... Knots are not the weakness of fluro... Heat is...
AGREED JAMMER , GIVE THE KNOT A GOOD LICKIN AND SHEEL KEEP ON STICKIN

So should I just tie directly to the dipsy or use a swivel then connect to the dipsy?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks