Knife sharpening

cmac

Does any one know of a professional knife sharpener in the St. thomas/London area? I have a few fillet knives which I can't put an edge on. I am thinking the blade may be a low carbon content, however, last ditch effort will be to have a pro attempt to apply an edge. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

Don't know if it would help in your case, but I bought Mrs. Stomp a Chef's Choice 3-stage 120 Diamond Hone Electric Knife Sharpener Model 120 a few years ago for a Christmas present. She promptly sliced a finger open on Christmas Day. It is still going strong and seems to put an edge on the dullest/crappiest of steel (and Mrs. Stomp still has all her fingers(y)). They aren't cheap, but I think are well worth it. It doesn't help me get the Y-bones out though. You need @Three Bouys for that.

See http://www.williamsfoodequipment.ca/shop-by-brand/chefs-choice-knife-sharpeners.html?mkwid=sYz73IqOo&pcrid=27129890473&gclid=CNO9-5Cn07sCFQlgMgodNUQAew for a Canadian site with Boxing Week sales.

Looks like Costco carries them in the US for less money, so that might be an option to consider.

Last edited:
I had decided against an electric sharpener because we had little kids in the house but my Dad bought me ChefsChoice for my birthday 6 or 7 years ago and it is the greatest thing for all your knives, even cheaper filleting knives. Makes them ridiculously sharp in a few passes.

home hardware downtown delhi. even have a machete sharpener.

It doesn't help me get the Y-bones out though. You need @Three Bouys for that.

I gave you @stomp your lesson on how to do it, all we have to do is wait for some spring pike to do it all over again .;) Its been a 3 month withdrawal and no fishing till February. Off again to B.O.Q. for some ice eyes.

@cmac my Cutco knife is an excellent knife but its not cheap. I've had it for approx. 10 yrs. When it feels like its getting dull, I just send it back (blade) to Cutco with only $5.00 to cover shipping costs. They have a lifetime warranty and no questions asked and less than a 2 week turn around.

But on the other hand, I prefer my electric on either of those Hastings perch or Bluffs pike.

Thanks for the input folks. I am rather partial to manual blades then electric as I have more control to how many fingers I keep. So far, I have all 10 digits however, they do bear some incredible stitch patterns...:) Looks like the two old blades will be ground down and discarded...for safety reasons.

Thanks again all.

cheers!
Mike

stand outside and listen for the bell, cause the second you put that knife down and turn your attention to something important that damm knife shaopening truck is in the next friggin county. sorry hope you find what your looking for out that way got no idea other than when the truck is in my neighbourhood i got no shot to get them together let alone stop him .

It's pretty hard to beat having a knife professionally sharpened. Like Stomp and Mrs. Stomp, my wife and I have an electric "Chef's Choice" in the house. I find it does an OK job but the knives are never like new or like "Henckels Knives" simply maintained with a sharpening steel. I like the 9" Rapala knife for fish but after a couple of seasons I find them impossible to maintain and eventually replace them. The steel seems to be great when new but even after professional sharpening I find I have to sharpen them or switch knives in the middle of filleting a few fish.

there is a guy who does it out of his garage on Wellington across from the old Simpsons variety by the fire station. If you go, let me know how if he's any good.

Duck soup, I know exactly what you are saying...half way through a fillet job.lol! Wads 44, I know the area very well, do you have an address?
Just a head's up for all you Rappela fans, CTC, St. Thomas has 6" rubber handled Rappala knives on "un-advertised" deal for $5.95 each...from $24.95 regular priced. I know this as I have picked up a position with CTC during the "off season", before I return to B.C. There aren't many left (9 or 10) so if you want one, better get off the couch. If you want one and can't make the trip, send me a pm asap to cmacdetailing@yahoo.ca and I will try to grab one before they are all gone...great deal at $5.95!!!

cheers!
Mike

I have 3 different Rappala's for the important jobs. I have some kind of a double circle grindstone ,with course and fine sides ,that does an amazing job. If I could ever find another , or heaven forbid, remember where I got this one ,I would buy a couple more.
Anyway it seems to me it depends on the steel in the knife. One is a ---- to do but holds an edge forever . The other two will each do a mess or two of fish before needing an edge. I skin my fish and like them a little duller for that task.

Gave up trying to get a good edge on my filleting & hunting knives. I go to a guy who sharpens saws, jointers, & anything else that requires a good edge (he's on hwy #3 Simcoe just west of Proctor Marine). Works out to about $3 a blade, but they hold a good edge that lasts longer than any home sharpening system (I've tried lots of them). May seem like a lot of money but they come out razor sharp. Just my "two cents worth".

Just a quick clearification...apparently, there are 2 identical Rappala knives on "un-advertised" deal. Identical packaging though the $5.95 deal has the DVD and the $16 deal does not...so, look for the package with the DVD. I was not aware of the second deal as sports is not my department.
Sorry for any confusion folks.

Mike

I believe at CTC there is a knife sharpener called "Speedy Sharp". It basically is a Carbide Lathe Tool welded on a piece of steel that they then covered in orange plastic for a handle. Because this is a carbide tool it will "cut" an edge into the blade. Biggest problem is that if you do not know the angles for the blade in the beginning or how to sharpen properly then when you run the tool down the blade it will flatten the edge just as fast the tool will put an edge on. For me it works. Have one in my tackle box and in the kitchen draw... simple effective.

At Home Hardware in St Thomas I saw some coupons at the till about knife sharpening. Get one sharpened and get the second one free. I didn't look that close, so I don't know if Home Hardware sharpens knives or they have the coupons for someone that does.

Personally I use & like the Berkley electric filleting knife ... Just got a 2nd 1 with case & adapters & 2 blades 4 $30.00.... Does a great job & I find it seems like u wood have 2 work 2 cut u'rself...It does get warm after intense cleaning session...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks