Off Topic Kind of Funny.

Trevor M

Last week while I was on the only one on the pier doing what I do, (watchin the water get wetter til a fish came to play) someone came up to me and said to me, "fishin this pier is a waste of time you know. It's dead and has been for years."

As I always do, I responded saying "that depends on who you talk too." His response was, "You're wasting your time sitting here. You're not going to catch anything. Nobody has been catching anything, especially this year." Again, I said, "that depends on who you talk too."

He then said, "I remember coming here last year and the year before, and the year before that, and me and my buddy each got our limit in an hour an a half each time we came. That isn't happening now." That did it. :ROFLMAO:

Considering I'd NEVER seen this guy before, I calmly and politely called him on his BS. I told him that almost NOBODY fishes that pier more than I do. (I fish it a lot, but I know there are people who do fish it every day) On average I sit on it 25-30 times per year and each time I go, it's usually at least 6 hours minimum, sometimes 12 hours of fishing, sometimes catching, and I have been doing so since 2009, the year after I moved back to Ontario.

I let him know that I know ALL the regulars, and am considered to be "a regular" myself, so much so that the spot I was sitting in many refer to as being "MY spot" so I KNOW that NOBODY is getting, nor has ANYONE gotten their limit in an hour and a half, let alone 2 people on the same day in the same hour and a half for YEARS. Yes, there have been days when everyone is catching. Yes there have been limits periodically in that time, and yes I HAVE personally gotten a limit 3 times in that time.....twice in the past 3 years, but it's been incredibly long days to get those limits, (8-10 hours and 12+ hours each time)

I told him that the people who say the pier is dead are the people who don't have the patience to put in the time. They don't have the patience to sit there and wait for the fish to show up and play. They're the people who leave after 15-20 minutes, sometimes less, because they haven't had a bite. I then told him how many fish I've caught off that pier THIS year and showed him the picture of the seafood section of my freezer telling him ALL of it was put there since May 11 this year, that I'd given some away to family and neighbors, and I'd eaten some of what I've caught this year.

I then reminded him that no, he's right, fishin off that pier isn't what it USED to be like 15-20 years ago, because it's NOT 15-20 years ago. It's not what it was 10 years ago. It's not what it was even 5 years ago and nobody should expect it to be because it's not then, it's NOW and things like feeding patterns, predation, and perhaps, to a lesser extent, commercial operations in the area HAVE changed. Patience is the key. You wanna catch fish, specifically perch off the pier, you have to be there when they are. If you're not, in part because you don't have the patience, you're NOT going to catch'em.

He told me I was wrong, told me off, then left. :rolleyes:

Apparently, when it comes to fishing the pier in Pt Bruce, I'M the one who doesn't know what I'm talking about.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
When I used to shore fish Bayfront Park a a kid I used to have people say all the time "hey kid you know there's no fish here right? You know this water is dead right?"

Then I'd be like oh really... got 6 bass so far, but thanks for the tip.

Those bass just loved those mini 1/4oz spinnerbaits.

Not worth pushing him off the pier ? LoL !
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and risk scaring what few fish there were that day away. No, wasn't gonna waste my energy throwin him in the lake, and besides, it's not like he stood or sat beside or behind me and then intentionally crossed my line. THAT might have got him thrown in and a busted fishin rod or at least a cut line, but only after he'd ignored the 3 warnings first. ;)

Way to go Trevor. Some people should not show how ignorant they are by opening there mouth
Here's the thing, it happens a lot. I can't count how many times someone has come up to talk to me and started the conversation with, "fishing off this pier is dead." My automatic response has always been, as I said, "that depends on who you're talking too." and I always follow that up with, "I've had a good year off this pier," and sometimes I'll even tell them how many total fish I've caught, (not differentiating species) other times I'll just tell them how many perch I've caught. They tell me what it used to be like, or they do what that guy in the OP of this thread did and start telling ME the kind of things he did AND inevitably, they look at me like I'm full of :poop: so I SHOW them the most recent picture I have on my phone of the seafood section of my freezer. With some, I'm surprised their jaw ain't broke after it bounces off the pier that hard.;)

Then there are those who come visit me every time I'm there. They always start the conversation with, "how many today so far?" :ROFLMAO: and often times they get there right as someone is picking their jaw up off the pier and they confirm to that person that, yeah, they've seen it. I HAVE caught what I say I have.

I got out with @tailfeathers on June 28, and July 27, with a trip out with a friend who's boat is in a slip at NEM in between on July 13.

THIS is the most recent picture of the seafood section of my freezer. I took it when I got home today from my trip down to the pier (Report to follow soon but spoiler, I didn't add anything to it today.)

It was completely empty on May 10 of this year. The first trip I made out of hibernation was on May 11. I caught 7 and ate'em that night and the next day so ALL of that has been put in there after May 11. I've only found this lil bugger 🦨 once this year. (so far)

In case anyone is wondering, yes I've had a fantastic year off the pier this year, but NO, I AM NOT at a possession limit of perch. I make sure of that. I've eaten some, and I've given some to my parents, my son, and my neighbors to ensure I'm not. As I've said in other posts, my parents, my son and my neighbors are ALL spoiled. I catch the bait. I catch the fish. I clean the fish. I vac seal it for them for when I give it to them. All they have to do is cook it, then eat it.;)

Attachments

• Seafood Section of my freezer Aug 18 2022.jpg
    Seafood Section of my freezer Aug 18 2022.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 22
Scam callers and what I've shared that I do to them periodically. You've met me in person. You know my sense of humor. Nuff said? :ROFLMAO:
Like the duck cleaners
Ask them if they clean chickens too? Love it

Like the duck cleaners
I tell'em I don't have ducks. I don't even have chickens. I have cats and dogs. If I'm in a bad mood tho, I get nasty with them right away. I'll PM you the funniest thing I've done to a scam caller tho. I can't repeat it here. :ROFLMAO:

I tell'em I don't have ducks. I don't even have chickens. I have cats and dogs. If I'm in a bad mood tho, I get nasty with them right away. I'll PM you the funniest thing I've done to a scam caller tho. I can't repeat it here. :ROFLMAO:
Looking forward to reading it

Here's the thing, it happens a lot. I can't count how many times someone has come up to talk to me and started the conversation with, "fishing off this pier is dead." My automatic response has always been, as I said, "that depends on who you're talking too." and I always follow that up with, "I've had a good year off this pier," and
Trevor M, I Like your pic of the seafood section, wondering if you can share what vac packer you use. Im in the market for one.

Trevor M, I Like your pic of the seafood section, wondering if you can share what vac packer you use. Im in the market for one.
My wife bought this one for me for Christmas last year......it's my third now........Initially I had a seal a meal vac sealer, when it died after 5 years, I got a slightly smaller version of the same one. I used it a lot more and it died within 2 years. (I used it for fish and steaks when I cut my own steaks so it got a lot more use than the first one did.)

This one I'm using right now is a Food Saver version of a vacuum sealer. It's not fancy, but it's doing the job and I have 3 1/2 rolls of bags left still out of 6 she got me to go with it when she bought it (some were part of the package deal that came with the sealer.) Can't tell you what she paid for it. It was a gift. All I know is she got it for me because I needed a new one and this one was on sale when she happened to see it.

Attachments

• 0818221632-00.jpg
    0818221632-00.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 0818221632-01.jpg
    0818221632-01.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 7
Like the duck cleaners
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Guess who called about half an hour ago........real bad connection too.............guess who told me "YES, YES....... we'll sell you donald, and daffy, and huey and dewy, and daisy, and".....sudden silence........I think it clicked that I was messin with him because he suddenly got...........a lil bit irritated with me......but because of the bad connection I'm not really sure what he was going on about, well that and I don't speak Arabic, at least I think that's what language he was yelling at me in...before I hung up on him.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Numeris tried again too and I was a little less polite this time when I told the nice lady I told them EARLIER TODAY to lose my number, because I told them 2 days ago....... not interested.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks