Off Topic Kicker Size for Erie

Todsquad

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I purchased a 16.5' Polarkraft with a 60hp Yamaha - the previous owner had a 2.3hp kicker (on kicker plate) on as well for trolling northern inland lakes.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on a kicker that size for Erie? Is that enough power for trolling or should I be looking for something in the 4-5hp range?

I also don't want something too heavy for the transom either.

Thanks!

When i bought my 19.5 Tinny, there was a 2 hp on it. Not big enough so I upgraded to a 5 hp. big enough for a calmer day but it was a single cylinder 4 stroke that was a little noisy and vibrated as it did have to work harder. I now have a 9.9 4 stroke and it seems to be about right. It is quieter, smoother and it will maintain a battery. Hope this gives you a better idea.

When i bought my 19.5 Tinny, there was a 2 hp on it. Not big enough so I upgraded to a 5 hp. big enough for a calmer day but it was a single cylinder 4 stroke that was a little noisy and vibrated as it did have to work harder. I now have a 9.9 4 stroke and it seems to be about right. It is quieter, smoother and it will maintain a battery. Hope this gives you a better idea.
Thanks for the insight!

My concern is that a 9.9 may be a little too heavy for my boat. Just don't want to put too much stress on my transom if I can avoid it.

I had a 6HP on my 17'-6" Princecraft and it was fine power wise but a bit noisy and rough. The 9.9 pro-kicker on my newer one is much nicer but, as you say, they are heavy at over 100 lbs. In either case, a high-thrust prop is a huge improvement over most of the stock ones.

I had a 6HP on my 17'-6" Princecraft and it was fine power wise but a bit noisy and rough. The 9.9 pro-kicker on my newer one is much nicer but, as you say, they are heavy at over 100 lbs. In either case, a high-thrust prop is a huge improvement over most of the stock ones.
That's a fair point, I'll probably go for a 5-6hp and adjust the prop. Thanks!

Another thing to consider, whatever size you decide on. Is it enough motor to get you off of the lake in the event your main motor fails, and lets say you need to push into a head wind.
Just a thought.

We have a 5hp 4 stroke Merc on ours but if I had to replace it would get a small twin to reduce the vibrations. We went with a long shaft so we could mount right to the transom rather then use a bracket.

That's a fair point, I'll probably go for a 5-6hp and adjust the prop. Thanks!
Putting a high thrust prop on a non high thrust outboard not designed for it creates a lot of stress. Tohatsu makes a 9.9 HP that weighs only 81 lbs. That would be a very smooth twin cylinder and have the power needed in rough water conditions. Do it right once and you won't regret it later.

Putting a high thrust prop on a non high thrust outboard not designed for it creates a lot of stress. Tohatsu makes a 9.9 HP that weighs only 81 lbs. That would be a very smooth twin cylinder and have the power needed in rough water conditions. Do it right once and you won't regret it later.
I got to listen to Neil at Bridge Yachts go on a bit of a rage about how high thrust is a bunch of baloney that Merc started to market kickers lol.

I don't think high thrust props have any tangible meaning honestly. It's a 5" pitch 4 blade vs the standard 9" pitch 3 blade. Different tool for a different job.

A 101 lb Minn Kota terrova or Ulterra would give you an ultimate Lake Erie boat for walleye and perch.

A 101 lb Minn Kota terrova or Ulterra would give you an ultimate Lake Erie boat for walleye and perch.
I was thinking of upgrading my 55lb powerdrive v2 but the Covid tax on the trolling motors is crazy right now.

I have a 112lbs Ulterra and trolling with it is awesome until the batters run out after 8 hours. That's why I'm adding a 9.9 kicker. Ulterra will be relegated to steering duty.

I got to listen to Neil at Bridge Yachts go on a bit of a rage about how high thrust is a bunch of baloney that Merc started to market kickers lol.

I don't think high thrust props have any tangible meaning honestly. It's a 5" pitch 4 blade vs the standard 9" pitch 3 blade. Different tool for a different job.
Exactly, same motor different prop on the smaller motors. The 'high thrust' props are meant for low speed operation on heavy boats like sailboats and for kickers. They make a huge difference and don't do any harm whatsoever to the motor.

The 9.9 pro-kickers do use a different bottom end ratio than the other 9.9's which is what they call 'high thrust' but really, the ratio and the 4 blade prop are the only things different as far as the drive goes.

If you are upgrading then if I can put my 2 cents in. Ensure it is big enough to get you off the water in a bad situation. 7.5/9.9 is plenty for size of craft ( I have 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on a 24 ft and it is good in all conditions) Second and this maybe more important... ensure that what ever you get charges the main battery. this way you ensure your electronics are not draining your battery. And finally if you can swing it... get an electric start. Sometimes engine gets stubborn on the water and pulling a string can cause some language...

The 9.9 pro-kickers do use a different bottom end ratio than the other 9.9's which is what they call 'high thrust' but really, the ratio and the 4 blade prop are the only things different as far as the drive goes.

Nice thing (or disadvantage, depends on who you ask) about Suzuki is the 9.9 is a detuned 20hp, so you get a 20HP motor's displacement and lower unit. Great for high torque, strong, smooth running EFI 2 cylinder. Unfortunately it's also the heaviest 9.9 on the market.

Last edited:
I have a super clean serviced Nissan 9.8 in the classifieds that Im selling to get an XL shaft...will give 68 members a good deal!!

Have a Motorguide Xi5 on the bow of my 19.5 Starcraft for steering and a single cylinder Merc 3.5 on the stern. It's great on calm days but could use a little more when the lake picks up. Rented a boathouse this season without hydro and replacing the Merc with a Honda BF5. It has a 12 volt 6 amp charging system, Hopefully it can keep the bow mount batteries charged?

I purchased a 16.5' Polarkraft with a 60hp Yamaha - the previous owner had a 2.3hp kicker (on kicker plate) on as well for trolling northern inland lakes.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on a kicker that size for Erie? Is that enough power for trolling or should I be looking for something in the 4-5hp range?

I also don't want something too heavy for the transom either.

Thanks!
If your planning on pickerel fishing I’d be more concerned with going out 10-15 miles with a 16.5’ boat. A kicker is never a bad idea though.
For a point of reference for you I have a 9.9hp 2 stroke long shaft mounted on my transom of a starcraft 180 SFM. It will push that boat 5.3mph max.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks