Kicker question

Retriever

I have a 1997 Honda 8hp kicker on an 18 foot aluminum fishing boat....my question is how do you all support your kickers when underway? It has no power tilt etc just a lock when u tilt it up etc? I’m concerned about the brutal Erie chop and the pounding it dishes out, does anyone use some sort of transom saver for their kickers???

Your kicker weight is relatively light and most of it is directly above the mounts on the transom.

I have an 03 Honda 8hp on a 17’ Smokercraft. The weight from bouncing in waves was causing that transom to bend outwards on that side. I had Ron Bankes build a reinforcing plate on that side and straighten the transom back up. Rock solid now and hasn’t moved a hair since about 5 years ago. My boat was not made for that extra weight High up on the transom like that without reinforcement.

Ok good to know I have a kingfisher aka formally harbour craft it’s heavy gauge welded and looks to be ok at the transom but I guess time will tell

I have a Tohatsu 8. It locks in the up position but after the first time when the wake knocked the bottom end up The lock disengaged and the motor dropped down. I grabbed a bungie cord and went from the cavitation plate up to the lock to hold it down. That’s the process and 3 years later it works and works every time. Proving again it’s best not to over think it.

Rick

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks