Kicker mounting ??

mrozborn

I posted a while back about needing help with a kicker. I have a 16.5' Lund with a 60 HP. After reading all the responses I decided and purchased a 6 HP Suzuki. I also built a device similar to I-troll so I can remotely control the throttle. This is the first time I've had/installed a kicker. Now I'm mounting it and only want to do it once 😉, So hence the questions; comments are most welcome !

- I chose the Port side due to a lot of solo trips & transducer etc on Starboard side.
- how close to the main? closer = better steering?
- should the motors be parallel, or kicker slightly skewed to allow for offset from center?
- should I troll with the main motor tilted up?
- instruction manual states to remove the connecting rod between the motors when using the main motor at high speed? wtf?
- how to secure a 55lb motor so no MF can take it when I'm not around?
- how to secure it when travelling on the water at high speed?

Any other suggestions are most welcome. As usual the feedback is great on 68 👍

cheers Mike

I forget which steering bar you got, I assume it was the style at the front of the motor. The ones at the back/side, usually you have to remove it when you tilt the kicker up to travel fast.

I wouldn’t worry about squeezing it in close to the main motor- they steer fine off to the side. Just mount it where it has room to move freely.

Same with trolling with your main motor up or down- you can do either and pick what is convenient. If it’s down just leave it in gear so the prop doesn’t spin and wind up stray fishing lines. Having the main down gives you a bit of a rudder and keeps it out of your way (or maybe gets in your way, depending on the set up) but your kicker has plenty of power to steer you!

Same with the angle- don’t over think it. You’re using the kicker at low speed and you kinda just have to eyeball two weird shaped objects to decide if they’re parallel.

If you mount the kicker too close to the main you have a risk of impeding your left turs with the main motor

Here’s a pic of mine. I measure from centre of motor to centre of motor at 2 ft. There is a little angle difference on the kicker- not sure if that was done on purpose but it drives the boat beautifully. No issues with steering interference.

Attachments

• 79AFEA22-11BB-4A12-A40F-1A88BBAE8B67.jpeg
    79AFEA22-11BB-4A12-A40F-1A88BBAE8B67.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 44
Here’s a pic of mine. I measure from centre of motor to centre of motor at 2 ft. There is a little angle difference on the kicker- not sure if that was done on purpose but it drives the boat beautifully. No issues with steering interference.
It looks like the kicker is skewed a little to starboard which is what I was thinking. I thought it would compensate for the mount being off center.
Thanks for the pic.

I forget which steering bar you got, I assume it was the style at the front of the motor. The ones at the back/side, usually you have to remove it when you tilt the kicker up to travel fast.

I wouldn’t worry about squeezing it in close to the main motor- they steer fine off to the side. Just mount it where it has room to move freely.

Same with trolling with your main motor up or down- you can do either and pick what is convenient. If it’s down just leave it in gear so the prop doesn’t spin and wind up stray fishing lines. Having the main down gives you a bit of a rudder and keeps it out of your way (or maybe gets in your way, depending on the set up) but your kicker has plenty of power to steer you!

Same with the angle- don’t over think it. You’re using the kicker at low speed and you kinda just have to eyeball two weird shaped objects to decide if they’re parallel.
My mounting system is a front one, attaching to the kicker under the tiller handle. I'm not impressed with the setup, there's little O-rings on top of the swivel ball under the coupling. If I have to take the rod off every time I use the main it's not gonna be long before they're gone. Going to have a word with the manufacturer. Thanks for the tip about putting the main in gear, I get tangled up just fine without extra help.

I turn my main all the way to the left, check clearance and then mount the kicker. Take it out for a run, test everything, once satisfied through bolt in place. I then use a bar that slides over the motor clamps and put a lock through the end. I made mine out of some scrap square tubing, ground out a channel for the bolts, drilled a lock hole at the end, primed and painted, then set it on a heat register for a week to cure. It’s not foolproof but the through bolts and the lock keep away casual thieves. As for kicker tie bar, I’m not sure what your using. I don’t use one now that I’m back in a tiller boat, but I was using the panther on my last boat and it worked great! Good choice on the Suzuki, your going to love it!

When trolling with my kicker I drop my bow mount trolling motor and use it to steer with my remote.
Allows for very quick turning and response and I don't have to worry about the steering bars or stiff steering between the 2 motors.

I have a 2014 lund rebel xl 16.5 ft with a 1991 mercury 5 hp 2 stroke mounted on the port side. Steering off of main motor with a rod. It is sitting in port rowan waiting for repair at Bankes if you want to see it.

Back