Kicker motor fuel line

merc_man

Been wondering if i shoukd be unhooking my kicker motor fuel line while under main motor power?
Why i am wondering is last couple times out i noticed that when i started my kicker it would die after a few seconds. Pump buld and good to go. So this means my big motor is pulling the fuel from that line which is plumbed i to the main motor fuel line with a t joint.
So now im wondering if my main cpuld be sucking air through the kicker once it pulls all the fuel out.
I am gonna start unhooking the fuel plug from now on.
Whays your thoughts and do unhook your kicker while main is running?

Thanks

Been wondering if i shoukd be unhooking my kicker motor fuel line while under main motor power?
Why i am wondering is last couple times out i noticed that when i started my kicker it would die after a few seconds. Pump buld and good to go. So this means my big motor is pulling the fuel from that line which is plumbed i to the main motor fuel line with a t joint.
So now im wondering if my main cpuld be sucking air through the kicker once it pulls all the fuel out.
I am gonna start unhooking the fuel plug from now on.
Whays your thoughts and do unhook your kicker while main is running?

Thanks
The primer bulb should only allow fuel to go one way. If you are "T" ed in to the same hose as you main you can put a one way check valve in which will guarantee it cant pull fuel. The other option is a new quality bulb or a shut off valve between the "T" and the kicker.

The primer bulb should only allow fuel to go one way. If you are "T" ed in to the same hose as you main you can put a one way check valve in which will guarantee it cant pull fuel. The other option is a new quality bulb or a shut off valve between the "T" and the kicker.
Maybe a check valve would be a good way to go. Then i wont forget

My fuel lines come off my water separator.

My kicker pulls the system dry over time while trolling.

The main has never has been an issue regarding fuel.

I've changed fuel lines, replaced both bulbs and had two marine shops work on the issue.

It still does it, and I've decided it's much less expensive to reach down and give the bulbs a squeeze a couple of times during the day on the water.

Any good brand name primer bulb has a check valve in it. That is why there is a directional arrow on it. I have noticed over the years that if you pump the primer while it’s lying flat it won’t pump up hard. Hold it so the arrow is up and it primes up in a few pumps.
Try arranging the bulb and hose so that the arrow is up. Zip tie it and then main can’t pull from kicker line. Unless the check valve is defective.

I've changed fuel lines, replaced both bulbs and had two marine shops work on the issue.

It still does it, and I've decided it's much less expensive to reach down and give the bulbs a squeeze a couple of times during the day on the water.
Your right there...a few pumps saves a lot of head aches. But typically kicker motors us a diaphragm fuel pump run by a tiny bit of compression. EFI kickers use an electric pump. The main on most modern boats use something similar to this as well. Point being the small carb kickers have less ability to pull fuel past the check valve in the primer bulb. If the primer is of a larger nature the bigger the valve and the tougher the spring it must overcome. So the motor Burns all the fuel available in the line leaving a void and even a vacuum in the line between the bulb and the carb. Hense the need to prime it again. However if it loses prime between short term shut down it will require the inline check valve be installed or the primer bulb changed. There are electric primers available as well. I recommend using the primer bulb sized to the engine or a second check valve if it only loses prime between short shut downs. Using a bigger hose and a bigger bulb will not necessarily help the issue but may buy you more time between primes. It is a "as per case" scenario. Not many boats are the same.

Quite often if you look around there will be a secondary pick up on the tank. Sometimes you have to move some shit around to get at it. I had to pull a divider out to see mine.

I had a similar problem with mine earlier this year and I found it was the pick-up tube inside of the fuel tank. It hard a small leak where the clear nylon pick-up tube connects to the brass fitting that threads into the tank. The main motor fuel pump had enough power to overcome the leak but not the smaller pump on the kicker motor.

Back