keeping minnows alive

paddle maker

Last week I took the wife out off of St. Williams. We where out about 10 minutes and she decided she couldn't handle being on the water. So we headed inn without even baiting a hook. I ended up feeding a whole bucket of minnows to my chickens later that day. And had to buy more the next day in order to take my son out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep minnows alive for two or three day?

i salt mine when i have lots left over..when they die i put em in the fridge rolled in salt and they last a few weeks inna tupperware...and they dont fall apart tryin to put em onna hook like the frozen ones seem to when they get up to outside temps...

Hunter is correct. An aerator will help but temperature is crucial. I put blocks of ice on my minnows overnight with an aerator and it seems to work.

I have a minnow pail for each guy on the boat, max 3. Don't over crowd the minnows. Fresh water is the key. O2 + O2 = live bait. This ain't rocket science. Where you bought them is important, I've seen them try to put dead minnows in my pail.I always look for some kids on shore and give them all the leftovers. I've put what look to be dead ones back in the tank and seen them come to life. O2, the key to life.

I have an old aquarium in my garage with a waterfall type aerator. In the summer they will last from a few days to a week. In the winter they will last all season. I know one fellow who,if he's going out the next morning, puts his minnow bucket (with minnows) in the freezer overnight. TC

I have an old aquarium in my garage with a waterfall type aerator. In the summer they will last from a few days to a week. In the winter they will last all season. I know one fellow who,if he's going out the next morning, puts his minnow bucket (with minnows) in the freezer overnight. TC

Are they not all frozen in the morning.

imagejpg1_zps612fd053.jpg

Thanks I'll get an airater I know in the winter I can keep them alive for weeks. I'm wondering if I put them in a pail in my garage fridge with an airater if that would help but might not have enough oxygen. I will try airator first and go from there.

Thanks I'll get an airater I know in the winter I can keep them alive for weeks. I'm wondering if I put them in a pail in my garage fridge with an airater if that would help but might not have enough oxygen. I will try airator first and go from there.
There's enough oxygen in your fridge.

the report is on spoonpullers
I might have missed something, not unusual, what size minnow did you use for that monster? That's a hernia maker she is, beauty fish there sir! That would have melted my 90 buck Okuma.

edit, wowza.

We. Have taken pt 109. Out many times and that is what spoiled Heidi. The day in question we where in my 16 foot aluminum, and she couldn't handle the moment of the boat. I need to find a bow piece though. When I put it all together the plastic floor piece in the bow was missing. It floats great though, and both my wife and son prefer it to row boat or canoe. I put a 40 lb electric on it and I let my six year old "drive" he absolutely loves it. Thanks again. Whatsthepoint.

I use an aquarium aerator {with an air stone} plugged into a little inverter seems to work good, then when I get home just plug aerator into 110. Inverters come on sale at CTC for 7 to 10 bucks.

We. Have taken pt 109. Out many times and that is what spoiled Heidi. The day in question we where in my 16 foot aluminum, and she couldn't handle the moment of the boat. I need to find a bow piece though. When I put it all together the plastic floor piece in the bow was missing. It floats great though, and both my wife and son prefer it to row boat or canoe. I put a 40 lb electric on it and I let my six year old "drive" he absolutely loves it. Thanks again. Whatsthepoint.

PM me with exactly what is missing. I noticed when you left the "short pole " that holds the bow up was still here. It is simply a short piece of PVC that goes from the floor to below the bow. Is it the floor piece? If so I will look under the cottage for it. Should be 3 floor sections. Let me know.

Don't forget 6 year old needs to take the boaters test, no age restrictions for any powered watercraft, electric motor or combustion. I won't turn you in though.

Back