KEEPING FISH FRESH AFTER CATCHING

fishstalker

Just a "heads-up"

My buddy: "Teachers Pet" cleans fish in Turkey Point and I help him quite often. Many times catches are brought in to be cleaned from those that store them in hanging baskets over the side of the boat, stringers, and live wells. A lot of those fish are warm already.

Take a tip from the commercial fisherman...put them on ice..and I don't mean cubes that will leave them sitting in water. Freeze some water in plastic bottles and layer them between the fish in your cooler, you'll be surprised how the filets are much fresher and easier to clean with nice solid filets.

I had just commented yesterday to my fishing partner that I need to put a cooler in the boat to store our catch instead of the live well for those larger fish. I was going to use bags of cubes but will freeze water bottles now. Thanks for the tip.

Steve:D

I use juice jugs, the nice thing is you can re-freeze them over and over.

If you add some salt to the water they will stay frozen longer then just plain water.

Dev

FS and Devin,
Thanks a lot. great tips.

I took Gr13 Biology...twice, and didnt know that!

cheers.

yupp im with devin ihave live well with airater its good for few hours before i head home i take frozen juice bottles 5 or 6 throw them in live or fish in the cooler works great

johnnyo

We do that all the time when camping. Frozen juice bottles and water bottles in the cooler. When the ice in the bottles starts melting, you have ice cold water to drink! Works for the boat too.

Just some food for thought, those fishing with minnows, the frozen water bottles work amazing in the minnow bucket too!! The colder you can keep the water the longer they last.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks