Kayak fishing

Cam Reeves

I planned on heading down to the point this weekend to do a bit of fishing...couple questions. Is the shoreline ice free and is it safe for a kayak? And what temps do the crappie and pike start spawning? Has any one had any luck with either yet?

And does the pike tourney have a set date yet?

Cam,

All I can comment on is the ice. There isn't any in most of our channel. At the very dead end there's a little ice. It would be easy to push through. It's windy now though.

Jgam

If you go let me know how you make out. I'm anxious to get my 'yak out also. Just make sure you dress for the water temp which will be cold. TC

2 pike tournaments this spring. Straitline Anglers Pike Tournament Sat May 6 and The LPBAA Spring Pike Tournament Sat May 13. Both outta Sandboy Marina.

Thanks for the info! There is a catfish tournament i might enter in dunnville on the 6th that i wanted to enter so im glad that there is another one on the 13th.
Looking at the weather it is supposed to be alright in the point today, im going to launch the kayak and do some channel tours in search of some pan fish.

Took a tour around and i only caught a couple sunfish in the channels. But i went for a float down big creek and saw alot of large fish on my finder. They werent hitting my spinner, a husky jerk, or my crappie baits. Is it trout in there? And are they open right now?

Took a tour around and i only caught a couple sunfish in the channels. But i went for a float down big creek and saw alot of large fish on my finder. They werent hitting my spinner, a husky jerk, or my crappie baits. Is it trout in there? And are they open right now?

Might have been carp....there are alot spawing in the shallows this time of year

I've had the same experience there. Lots of fish marked in the hole under the bridge, lots of fish disturbed up on the flat. I'd bet most are carp and suckers, though there are lots of pike (closed as of yesterday in Zone 16 but still open in the bay and out for Lake Erie) and trout is open all year in Big Creek from Road 21 down to the lake.

Im heading back out again this weekend. Hopefully the crappie have moved in by now for pre spawn. Depending on the wind i might head into the bay if the perch are biting

What day you planning on going. Been itching to get my kayak out as well if you want some company.

Hey if you guys need some more company I might be interested to if nothing else comes up . I now a few places that hold cappy and pike this time of year if their in

I am going out tomorrow(sunday) i wont be down there untill around noon hour, i am coming from london. I am going yo go straight to old cut to start. Meet me there if you want to! Company is always great

Not sure if I will make it tomorrow for sure but went to long point today and got nothing then went to turkey point and got a few nice size cappy and bluegills.just fished off shore . Lots of minnows swimming around there

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks