Fishing Report July 22 Glasgow. Last fish with my dad

simko

My dad died a week ago yesterday after a long fight with leukaemia.
I loved fishing with my dad on the Maitland, catch smallies and pike up north but never got on Erie with him. I was usually too busy with school and work.

my friend was fixing up my dads boat a 16’ princecraft. My wife told me my dad didn’t have much time left and we should get it on the lake. The water was like glass. This guy hit a spoon, nasty boy in 50 fow, didn’t put up much of a fight. My dad was steering and always wanted others to enjoy fighting fish. The first time we saw it surface he said “wow that’s a nice fish, around 7lb!” As it got closer it started to weigh less, and it ended up being closer to 4lbs.
We had about two more hits on Copper and green spoons, but after about 3 hours on the lake I could see my dad was tired so we headed back in.
RIP dad. Hope you’re with me in spirit then next time I get out on the water. 222e5952-dd3a-4fad-96d8-f4cbfa953f1d.jpegIMG_3612.png

My condolances nice you got out on erie with him

Great you got out fishing with your father one more time. Taking my father in law to the Long Point Lighthouse tomorrow, he's 84. Hopefully my father's up for a little inner bay perch fishing this fall, he's 87. Might be both their last times (hopefully not). The memories will last on.

May you have the best of memories of you and your father fishing together that day. My sincere condolences my friend.

Those memories are GREAT and the pictures will be there to see him in his GLORY… RIP… Great day with the old man (DAD) cherish them for ever…

Simko: Sorry to hear of your father’s passing. I’m glad you made some time for an Erie run with him. Sounds like he was an unselfish man to the end, steering the boat so others could wind them in. Rest assured he is with you and watching from a lofty and more peaceful perch. My prayers go out to you and your kin. It sounds like this last trip was only one of a lifetime’s worth of memories you have to cherish for the rest of your days too. May he rest in peace and may some measure of that peace rest upon you all.

What a wonderful story to remember your father @simko and I am sure you have many ohers that you will carry with you forever.
The smiles on both your faces say it all. My deepest sympathy to you and thank you for sharing.....indeed special times that last a lifetime.

@simko, hats off to your wife for having the wisdom to give you the advice. Hats off to you for taking the advice. And hats off to you for sharing your story. The pictures along with your description fill the heart with sorrow and warmth at the same time. We all will have to endure the inevitable similar story. It’s a hard/good one to share. I appreciate you sharing and wish you strength in your time of grieving.

So sad to read this simko, cherish all the good times.

Nice you got your Dad out one more time., his thoughts was not the fish it was the person holding the fish.
The love in your Dads face tells me that.
You have my condolences, you keep those memories.

My condolences to you and your family . Glad you got out with him one last time . I`m sure he loved every minute of it .
When I was younger my dad dragged me every where fishing . We did a lot of years on the Maitland as well . Best memories .

My condolences but it was nice to get your dad out fishing and you will always have those memories.

Great you got out fishing with your father one more time. Taking my father in law to the Long Point Lighthouse tomorrow, he's 84. Hopefully my father's up for a little inner bay perch fishing this fall, he's 87. Might be both their last times (hopefully not). The memories will last on.
Got the old boy out to the Light House today, bug's were terrible, he cranked in a 28" walleye, 10 colour and six Bow's off Dipseys. All trout were released. Great day and will always have those memories.

Attachments

• IMG_20230905_102441.jpg
    IMG_20230905_102441.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230905_105751.jpg
    IMG_20230905_105751.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230905_102745.jpg
    IMG_20230905_102745.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 13
Hats off to you Scott’s! Take a kid fishing includes anyone young a heart. It looks like you had a wonderful day for it.👍🏻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks