July 18/13 Port Bruce

apps

Hey All...........interesting morning on the lake this morning ,Buddy and I got out there and set up by 6:30 had 1st (eye) and only fish on by 6:55 then thing shut down for us ,at about 10:15 we notice a boat waving his net so we trolled his way and lost 1 trolling over to him ,but as we got closer we notice he was sitting pretty low in the water so we pull lines and fired up big motor and put a hurry on things , when we got there I thought the guy was going to be getting in with us and we were going to watch his boat sink ,I jump in and started bailing with him at one point the boat was even with the water line and even tried to roll a couple times but we tied a couple lines on him and got it head toward port It was all my sylvan (90hp Merc) could do to pull it and boats were match as far as length and engine but the more we travel the more the water ran out back to once we were ahead of the game , I asked the fellow a couple time about the live well and then he clued in the he forgot to put tube in back live well and it was coming in from there so we got that in then we were ahead of the game for sure, guy said he had 2 boats just drive by , he also told me on way that he put a 911 call out on radio and when we got in there was a OPP boat sitting there ,we figured they wanted to talk to us cause they might of got call and we were towing this boat in but no they were at the burger stand having lunch !! Glad it worked out and guy got to go home safe with his boat !.......................apps

Me and fellow we towed in

If anyone finds a net bobbing around in 53 ft ish SE of port , I lost mine help guy out! .............apps

Great story with a good ending, your special my friend.

Good man apps. I never thought leaving the tube out in a live well will bring on water. I drain my live wells before heading in regularly. Hydrostatic pressure should not allow water to run uphill, in fact it's impossible unless the drain in the well is below water level, that's possible. I believe there is a check valve in the line as well. But believe me I won't be taking the tube out on the water anymore.

Waving a net to call for attention isn't the best way to signal help. A whistle that is supposed to be on the boat is a signal, waving a shirt. I always have a red towel on board if need be. * 13 on a cell phone is direct to the coast Guard. Not everyone has a marine radio. I am willing to bet nobody received a distress call from that boat. Distress calls are taken seriously. I wonder if this is another boater that had a buddy do his boaters test on line for him.

I think apps has experienced the live well issue before!

Lol knightmare ..................... yes I have ! , maybe not that extreme but yes have had my floor wet because of cracked live well pump hose ! Glad we got chance to pay it forward , maybe the walleye GODS will have pity on us now !!.................apps

Anyone with a Legend should make sure tube is in back live well tank because in that Legend the tank drain was below the water line and it was like a 3/4" hole in the boat !!

No matter how experienced each of us are, we all make mistakes and we can all still learn something.

Your so right coltpilot, we all make mistakes. But some mistakes can result in someone your responsible for dead. I never want to hear a pilot saying " heck, we all make mistakes". I might be anal when it comes to boating, have lost 3 friends years ago that were very experienced boaters on Nippissing. Their mistake was being lazy, they decided to tow a floating dock loaded with furniture to a cottage around a point to save them a few minutes by road, it was a stupid mistake that ended up in 3 funerals and 11 kids without Dads.

I think everyone knows someone that made the fatal mistake of drinking and driving. When we made mistakes at the Steel plant people could die.

WTP is 100% right......even the smallest mistake or lack of judgment can have huge repercussions.
My wife has lost two family members to boating/water accidents and it always stays with you.

I've been on the water most of my life as I'm an avid canoeist, but honestly I'm nervous every time I hit the big water with my big rig.
Even more now that I have kids of my own, and when they are with me out there.
Its a lot of fun building memories fishing with them but you cannot take the water, weather, gear or anything for granted.
The fish will come but I try and teach them to be safe and boat smart, never cutting corners or hot shotting.

Apps, Good on ya!!!!
Not sure if all Legend boats are like that as I have one and the water won't come in the live well with the drain plug unscrewed. I tested it.
Now mind you I always keep it screwed in though......

btw nice fish!

Just want to clarify that I agree with WTP as well and we all have to be vigilant. I am so sorry for anyone who has lost friends / family on the water. I do know people who have unecessarily lost their lives due to impaired driving....... but I have to opine that unlike forgetting a tube or a plug, drinking and driving, (or boating), is no mistake.

Coltpilot,

You've got that right, drinking and driving is no mistake, it's just plain suicidal. It hits too close to home for me. I once took a guys keys from him and he tried charging me with assault. If someone wants to kill himself driving bombed out of their minds well that's fine, the problem is the family coming down the road when this idiot is out there trying to drive with one eye open, or keep a boat in a strait line. The OPP that came put him in the back of the cruiser and he spent the night in jail not me. Oh yea, they had to stop by the emergency ward first to set his broken arm. The judge in civil court that heard the case as he was trying to sue me for $100000 gave me an at a boy and told him he was lucky I only broke his arm and not his skull. I'll never forget everyone in the court room clapping when the judge threw him and his lawsuit out of court.

That was a long time ago when I was a bit more, what can I say, younger and volatile.

... and I would applaud you too sir, at any age. Well done. When I see these young, good looking "kids" with their futures in front of them out at Pottahawk each year, I shudder to think about what could happen to some of them. Anyway, great to have this dialouge with you and those who respect the roads and the waterways.

Now let's get some fish!!! Best of luck, and stay safe out there all!

All valid and good points. My hats off to Apps (Coltpilot as well). Against the rules/law to leave a boater needing assistance. Did a tow in myself on Lake Ontario this year.

Back