July 14 Glasgow - learn to set your drag right

Bentrod

Lines in the water at 6pm in our regular 67fow. 4 Dipsies 2 on #3 80-90’ back and 2 on #1 50-60’ back. Waves were 2-3’ from the West, at my limit. Only trolled with the waves. We ended up 11/12 eyes and 1/1 bows. Orange/black and white/blue/dots worked again.
Now the excitement of the evening - I generally keep the drags tight - the guy in the first picture decided to hit a blueberry muffin so hard on a turn that it broke the rod holder in the second picture, taking the rod for a swim. Taildanced 5-6 times after leaving with the rod and then stayed afloat on top of the water - turned the boat around - royally tangled the other 3 dipsies - netted him and recouped the rod!!!
Untangled them, reset everything and something hit another one hard and left with 3’ of 30lbs fluoro!
Not a bad evening overall. Just need to stop by and buy some more spoons and a rod holder. Pink panties and blueberry muffin are high on my list. Hope there are some left in Lambeth or Angling Outfitters.

Attachments

• 4302261E-7F7A-46C8-8FEC-67B4C83799F4.jpeg
    4302261E-7F7A-46C8-8FEC-67B4C83799F4.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 215
  • CF008542-3325-41D6-A61D-9258D22F963B.jpeg
    CF008542-3325-41D6-A61D-9258D22F963B.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 39BD4029-418D-454D-8D10-388FAA62C17B.jpeg
    39BD4029-418D-454D-8D10-388FAA62C17B.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 191
Lines in the water at 6pm in our regular 67fow. 4 Dipsies 2 on #3 80-90’ back and 2 on #1 50-60’ back. Waves were 2-3’ from the West, at my limit. Only trolled with the waves. We ended up 11/12 eyes and 1/1 bows. Orange/black and white/blue/dots worked again.
Now the excitement of the evening - I generally keep the drags tight - the guy in the first picture decided to hit a blueberry muffin so hard on a turn that it broke the rod holder in the second picture, taking the rod for a swim. Taildanced 5-6 times after leaving with the rod and then stayed afloat on top of the water - turned the boat around - royally tangled the other 3 dipsies - netted him and recouped the rod!!!
Untangled them, reset everything and something hit another one hard and left with 3’ of 30lbs fluoro!
Not a bad evening overall. Just need to stop by and buy some more spoons and a rod holder. Pink panties and blueberry muffin are high on my list. Hope there are some left in Lambeth or Angling Outfitters.
I found out yesterday that pink panties and blueberry muffins were the ticket

Wow! I can't keep a trout on the line and you found one that stays hooked until he's dead?? Glad you recoup'd the rod @Bentrod

In my limited experience, I need those drags loose. Turn the clicker on and loosen that drag off until it starts pulling line. Then tighten it just enough that it stops pulling or clicks one click every few minutes. Even the small walleye and silvers pull a little bit of drag, then you don't pull them around the lake for an hour and find them when it is time to reel up for the day (y)

Great story.

Congrats on your night out off Glasgow. Sorry to hear about the rod holder but great you recovered the rod and reel. It looks a Scotty rod holder and if it is I suggest you contact Scotty they will send you a free replacement.

Drag should be as anonymoose suggested, I too use this method, and haven't had an issue. saves gear, and fish.
dipsys are my first rod in before riggers, i put the clicker on and drop them in the water at trolling speed and they click all the way to desired depth's , when the depth is reached, simply slightly tighten the drag so you don't here any clicks. and your set to fight any fish that takes the bait. at this setting if the fish wants to pull drag it can with ease, and it becomes a better fight. if you have a monster on you might be able to just so ever slightly tighten the drag to limit the fishes runs. but by no means want to stop the fish completely, that is how you rip the hook hole bigger and fish get off the hook. Dipsy reels should be full of your choice of line, i think my rods have 500 yards of 30#braid. I have full confidence that if any whale in lake erie or lake O can just have at it and take line, fine with me, it''s only going to make them tired. and all i have to do is reel them in at a nice steady slowish pace. and GAME OVER. in the cooler they go. less wear and tear on equipment.
i have 17 rods and reels, none of them have the drags tight. I'd rather hold the rod (not reeling in line) watching the fish try to get away, opposed to break stuff.
For riggers i do the same for those reels but slightly different, enough to set the hook , but not enough to rip a lip. i'd perfer the fish to run when on rigger rods. i allow 100 yards if the fish is hott, then i might 1/8th turn the drag to see how that hott fish is going to handle the change, if i can gain a little, that's all that needs to be done. Minimise the hole in the fishes face. is the goal by the correct drag.
good luck out there.

Scotty striker holders have metal on the part that broke on yours..my thoughts are since there is so much pressure on dipsey rod holders are to use some sort of rocket launcher, salty holders, or striker..strikers are used on the west cost for halibut fishing..

Cannon dual axis rod holders all the way. The dray is most important piece of the puzzle. Loose enough for when fish strike but tight enough to hold while trolling.

Good fishing story. I’m sure the lines were a mess lol.

I also set my drag to a minimum so I can here the clicker if I am dragging a fish around. In theory this is good unless you get a big rainbow on that decides to run across your other lines. Bottom line is if the fish gods are angry it doesn’t matter what you do.

I had a rod holder break off in erieau this year, took my phone out of my pocket and dove over to save it. I got it much to my buddies surprise.

congratulations on your catch of both the fish and your rod. The odds of catching both are not very good 🤣

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks