Itchin' for my first deer season

bassaholic

Hey all, well I got the tag in the mail the other day, scouted a spot for my new tree stand and even got a few good contenders on film!! Started hunting 3yrs ago with turkey, yotes, rabbits and other small game but ready to move up to the big game this year! Wished I would have started hunting earlier in life but hey...better late then never!!

Here's the biggest one I've seen so far, lots of others on film but I'm hoping to see this guy come Oct 1st!! Anybody else out scouting or have the game cams up??

Thats awesome good luck!

I only started hunting when I turned 19 and dont look back. Never really had much of a mentor so it's a long slow process learning on my own. I got invited to join a November deer group and it has been awesome ever since.

Wish I lived rural so I could practise shooting my bow daily but honestly I find it too hard with kids to find the time to practise when living in town.

Hey Bassaholoic...I am not a diehard trophy hunter like some guys are....I started deer huntin when I was a youngster..My first deer was a 4 pointer ...a large fork horn

I just got into big game huntin again... 4 huntin seasons ago....I am a meat hunter but did accomplish the grand slam last season (moose & bear and deer) with a quebec spring bear below with an extremely thick and lush winter fur...I got that into your typical bear skin rug...lol

I also blasted this 10 pointer (typical) with skinny tines below at 50 feet...lol that was last Nov 4th just outside of St. Thomas in a bush lot close to fingal...just got it back from the taxidermist a month ago and yet to hang it on the wall

I also am waiting on my bull moose antlers from a nice bull I shot out in northern NFLD.. 1.5 seasons ago...

So ya if your serious on shootin some critters that have a little wow...it can be done with not alot of waiting season after season like some guys think

I reccomend gun powder...its more fun...I shoot a little .270 WSM for Moose and Bears
and a big 50 cal for blastin deers...lol

Try to practice shooting a target first and don't get nervous (buck fever)

Good luck shooting the deer in your picture
Mick

new%20huntin%20pics%20005_zpsz5nrc2kc.jpg

nfld%20bull%20moose_zpshcjr0fac.jpg
new%20huntin%20pics%20002_zpsjopf7tmq.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice trophies @mick!! I just started hunting 5yrs ago. Like I said better late then never lol. My buddy got me into hunting. He was kind of a mentor to the sport for me but then he moved to Alberta so I've been going it alone since. I love the trial and error of it though and experimenting with calls, tactics, etc..... next year I'm hoping for a moose hunt up in Hurst with a bunch of good guys. Time in the woods away from work, traffic, phone etc... is the best!!!! A little meat for the freezer is a bonus

that was the best I could do for my moose antlers (picture is above) until I get them back from the taxidermist...The moose are smaller out in NFLD...but that was a nice bull for me! I wacked him good at over 300+ yds away on my second morning of my hunt!!! There was lots of good quality meat that filled up my freezer...I was also able to bring back and had just the room for 20 lbs of quality cod fish at $3.00 a pound... It was a great trip out there by myself.. driving out there and back with my christmas moose...see the date on the picture...anyway thought I would share...good luck again!!!

Thanks for sharing @bassaholic, that would make one heck of a first deer! I keep trail cams out 365 days a year and have never seen one that big on camera at my place. I pass on the little guys but between neighbours, poachers, (and likely poaching neighbours) they all die before their 2nd birthday.

Good luck in the woods this fall!

-moose

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks