Internal vs external gps

Big B

I was considering upgrading my humminbird FF/Gps unit this year. The ones I'm considering have an internal gps antenna. My old one has an external puck antenna mounted outside of cockpit area. My boat has an canvas cover, windshield etc. and I'm concerned this may be an issue with the internal antenna not acquiring a signal quickly or accurately, especially on overcast days. Anyone made the switch already and have any info to share in this regard.?
Thanks in advance

I've had both, Garmin external and new last season Hummingbird with an internal aerial no difference. The Hummingbird with the internal aerial is great. Overcast days do not interfere with GPS systems I was told, and I have not had any issues with it ever getting a signal. Think about a cars GPS, it works during all types of weather, same goes for handhelds. Maybe the first generation GPS systems did, but not now based on my experiences.

Hey Big B, I have my lowrance on my dash and when my tops are up I have no difference in signal. Todays GPS units don't seem to be effected by things like that. I can even get signal when the boat is in the garage!!

My raymarine can catch a signal inside the house if you'd believe that. I wouldn't worry about it!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks