Installing a transducer ?

If you have a rooster tail, it’s too low. It takes some fine tuning. Position the screws in the middle initially so you can easily adjust the mount up or down 1/16 after a test run.

These "Let me Google that" responses are actually kind of rude but the answer you provided is also incorrect....the bottom of the transducer needs to be slightly below the hull not above (it even says so in your LMGTFY answer if you look closely). As others have said, they come with instructions and usually work well if you follow them carefully. I just mounted a new Airmar and it works perfect out of the box.
Consider me suitably chastised, sometimes beer gets in the way of judgement.
Cunningham's law in full effect.

If you have a rooster tail it’s not necessarily due to it being too low, sometimes it’s water shooting between the mount and the transducer. I mount my SI transducer just a hair below the hull line. I also angle it up a bit to catch my cannonballs. The reason I do this is simply because I find a lot of the big banana SI transducers will lose image around 25mph. That’s been the case on my last 2 boats after trying multiple angles of attack. I now run 2 transducers, one a high speed and I can get readings with that one at full throttle. The other captures everything perfectly while trolling or general scanning at 5mph or less, including side image etc. but I often lose signal on it at 25mph. This works out for me and I highly recommend having 2 transducers. I had the transducer head of my old Raymarine unit completely rip off while running and my buddys lowrance SI transducer popped off the mounting plate and he had to put it in the boat. Both trips (trolling) where saved as we both ran 2 transducers. My 2 cents.

If you have a rooster tail it’s not necessarily due to it being too low, sometimes it’s water shooting between the mount and the transducer. I mount my SI transducer just a hair below the hull line. I also angle it up a bit to catch my cannonballs. The reason I do this is simply because I find a lot of the big banana SI transducers will lose image around 25mph. That’s been the case on my last 2 boats after trying multiple angles of attack. I now run 2 transducers, one a high speed and I can get readings with that one at full throttle. The other captures everything perfectly while trolling or general scanning at 5mph or less, including side image etc. but I often lose signal on it at 25mph. This works out for me and I highly recommend having 2 transducers. I had the transducer head of my old Raymarine unit completely rip off while running and my buddys lowrance SI transducer popped off the mounting plate and he had to put it in the boat. Both trips (trolling) where saved as we both ran 2 transducers. My 2 cents.

With running a high speed transducer what imagery are you able to pull, just bottom contouring?

Mainly bottom contour. The nice thing is I never lose bottom with the HS transducer. If I want to graph I just slow down.

The bottom of the transducer should be even or just above the bottom of the hull. Positioned so that it is always in the water fully even when on plane.
How important you figure that first step is
What if you have two transducers
Can you ask for me? Haha

Mainly bottom contour. The nice thing is I never lose bottom with the HS transducer. If I want to graph I just slow down.
On the back of my head unit (Helix 9) I only have provisions for one transducer, I would assume I'll have to buy a short splitter cable?

On the back of my head unit (Helix 9) I only have provisions for one transducer, I would assume I'll have to buy a short splitter cable?

Looks like they sell a splitter on Amazon. The hds 9 I’m using has 2 ports for sonar. I couldn’t tell you how to set up, I’ve either run 2 separate units before, or now I have the 2 sonar ports.

Side scan trans had to be way low to work well. The hw165 trans is down there as well . The fis inh hawk is up because it's only for trolling.

Attachments

• PXL_20240413_173524503.jpg
    PXL_20240413_173524503.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240413_173541486.jpg
    PXL_20240413_173541486.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240413_173512594.jpg
    PXL_20240413_173512594.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 15
Well things have evolved by a factor of two for me. Today I was gifted a networkable Helix 7 to go along with my 9 at the helm....thank you so much Rob!

Somehow the splitter cable, 2 into 1 has progressed into a splitter cable and the junction box. Man I'm going to have to go back to school to learn all this stuff.

1000001584.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks