Installing a transducer ?

Windy Point

Transducer is for a Helix 9.

Should the underside of the transducer be above, equal to or below the transom corner to the hull surface?

I like my transducers below my hull pad. Do you have a glass boat? My first choice would be to shoot it through the hull if this is for 2D.

The bottom of the transducer should be even or just above the bottom of the hull. Positioned so that it is always in the water fully even when on plane.

If it’s brand new, check in the box… Garmin comes with a little paper template with instructions. You just line it up and bobs your uncle!

The transducer always needs to be in the water if you want feedback while moving 10 or 20 or 30 mph. So it must be slightly below the bottom.
That said you run the risk of hitting anything that’s floating.

The bottom of the transducer should be even or just above the bottom of the hull. Positioned so that it is always in the water fully even when on plane.
These "Let me Google that" responses are actually kind of rude but the answer you provided is also incorrect....the bottom of the transducer needs to be slightly below the hull not above (it even says so in your LMGTFY answer if you look closely). As others have said, they come with instructions and usually work well if you follow them carefully. I just mounted a new Airmar and it works perfect out of the box.

Eh, this is a complicated question.

Helix 9 what? My Helix 9 SI transducer couldn't read anything above 30 mph. I had to install a high speed transducer and a Y-Cable for 2D and mounted the SI transducer really high to prevent it from hitting stuff, since now it will never serve any purpose while on plane anyways.

I used a thru-hull transducer for high speed, but an aluminum boat would require a small transom mount.

These "Let me Google that" responses are actually kind of rude but the answer you provided is also incorrect....the bottom of the transducer needs to be slightly below the hull not above (it even says so in your LMGTFY answer if you look closely). As others have said, they come with instructions and usually work well if you follow them carefully. I just mounted a new Airmar and it works perfect out of the box.
Yeah I let that one slide, I guess he's better at surfing for answers on the web than I am.

My installation instructions are clear on where to mount the transducer but are not clear on how high it is to be mounted in regards to the hull / water line.

A little bit below for me . Better reading but more spray. I almost always have to move it a bit for best reading. I haven't noticed much difference between port or starboard side. I tend to tip the back down as I'd rather have good reading and don't care about the spray. If you get streaks and break up at speed go lower.

Eh, this is a complicated question.

Helix 9 what? My Helix 9 SI transducer couldn't read anything above 30 mph. I had to install a high speed transducer and a Y-Cable for 2D and mounted the SI transducer really high to prevent it from hitting stuff, since now it will never serve any purpose while on plane anyways.

I used a thru-hull transducer for high speed, but an aluminum boat would require a small transom mount.

The grand daddy ? - CHIRP - MEGA SI+ - MEGA DI+

A little bit below for me . Better reading but more spray. I almost always have to move it a bit for best reading. I haven't noticed much difference between port or starboard side. I tend to tip the back down as I'd rather have good reading and don't care about the spray. If you get streaks and break up at speed go lower.
😉 👍

Last edited:
30 ish mph. You'll *probably* be fine.

Get a transducer mounting plate and attach that to your boat. This way you can make adjustments or add stuff without swiss-cheesing your hull.

I'm guessing that hull has a bit of deadrise? If so make the left edge of the transducer even with the bottom of the hull. The right edge will hang a bit below but that's okay.

1712846120645.jpeg

30 ish mph. You'll *probably* be fine.

Get a transducer mounting plate and attach that to your boat. This way you can make adjustments or add stuff without swiss-cheesing your hull.

I'm guessing that hull has a bit of deadrise? If so make the left edge of the transducer even with the bottom of the hull. The right edge will hang a bit below but that's okay.

View attachment 85686

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks