inner bay muskie

fishsmith

Today my brother caught this 34.5 lbs muskie. He was using a fire tiger clanking rap and spinning gear. It's me in the photo. We wanted to release it as quick as possible20140525_081735.jpeg

Magnificent! Congratulations plus an outstanding photo to boot.

Wow!!! I've seen them caught out in the outer bay and Bluff's....but never heard of them coming so deep into the inner bay. What are they after in the inner bay?

Wow!!! I've seen them caught out in the outer bay and Bluff's....but never heard of them coming so deep into the inner bay. What are they after in the inner bay?

The inner bay provides spawning grounds. It also provides an all you can eat buffet with perch, bluegill, small mouth, large mouth and crappie.
For the record i am not educated in the matter; however, i grew up with a shallow river in my back yard that use to produce a lot of musky.
I had the privilege of watching them swim up in the fall, chasing schools of crappie and balls of shad. The inner bay has very similar structure to the place i grew up around. I would not be surprised if there is a good number of them located in the bay, especially with a nice deep drop off for the summer months.
Before anybody goes targeting them i would double check when musky season opens. I know on my lake they are still out of season.

Before anybody goes targeting them i would double check when musky season opens. I know on my lake they are still out of season.

Lake Erie (zone 19) musky opens the 1st Sat. in June to Dec. 15th/2014.

I fished Long Point a bunch for almost 30 years and never caught one! I have seen a few caught including one up close on @Three Bouys' boat last summer. Assuming that recently reported LPB catches are all legit :jawdrop:, I don't think you can make a good argument that these guys are targeting 'skis. Now, I think you might argue that they all have some huge horseshoes stashed somewhere working in their favour.

Most record anything is a lot of luck, just being in the right place at the right time. Ken O'Brien's record 65 lb. muskie in 1988 is such an example.

ontario-record-muskie3.jpg

Hey thats great that the season opens earlier on Erie. I had this conversation with a guy two days ago who told me he has fished the belle river for 30 years and never caught a crappie. Therefore to him there is no crappie. I on the other hand have had a very different experience fishing the area. Same with Catfish creek, people told me there is no crappie, i proved that wrong this spring.
If a Professional musky angler came to the area to target musky, it is my belief that some serious fish could be caught.

Probably targeting pike and hooked into a bonus muskie. Awesome looking fish. Seems to be more common reports of muskie being caught in the inner bay.

Jeff

Yes we were fishing pike. I always check the regs and knew musky didn't open till June first. My brother caught it on a lure no bigger than two inches.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks