Fishing Report Inner Bay June 29

Wildfire

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Wife had to stop in to work for a bit this morning so we didn't get on the water until 11:30. Fished around whitefish Island produced nothing. So we went out around the channel and found em. Lots of bass, but we ultimately lost more than we landed. We ended up with I think 6-7 but probably lost 3x that many. Anyone have any tricks to keep smallies on? Seems like once they're hooked they know to go straight to the surface, thrash around alot and eventually it will come free. Everything produced, spinnerbaits, crank baits, tube jigs. All released to swim again.

Ended up with a few pike as well and an optimistic pumpkinseed that took a crank bait half it's size.

Unfortunately batteries in the scale were dead so I never got a weight on this brute.
AD54A983-EA9C-498E-8C1D-2BB4A7EBC5F0.jpeg
Strange thing happened too. MNR CO out checking licenses and limits, just doing his job. This strange shaped camo boat with a camo motor (we called it the Navy boat since it looked like military) was out fishing. As the CO approached he tried to drive away so the CO went straight to him. Spent a lot of time at their boat, handed over some paper and they left. They did something wrong that's for sure. When he came to us I was unhooking the pumpkinseed from the crank bait,so we laughed at that. He just wanted to see our licenses, told him we released everything live and he left.

Last edited:
Ummm... interesting pose there @Wildfire ... healthy-looking smallmouth !

my advice... set the hook hard, keep the line tight, and pray

Keep that line tight at all times once it goes slack there usually gone , kids always say you gotta do the small jaw dance to keep them on .

Wife had to stop in to work for a bit this morning so we didn't get on the water until 11:30. Fished around whitefish Island produced nothing. So we went out around the channel and found em. Lots of bass, but we ultimately lost more than we landed. We ended up with I think 6-7 but probably lost 3x that many. Anyone have any tricks to keep smallies on? Seems like once they're hooked they know to go straight to the surface, thrash around alot and eventually it will come free. Everything produced, spinnerbaits, crank baits, tube jigs. All released to swim again.

Ended up with a few pike as well and an optimistic pumpkinseed that took a crank bait half it's size.

Unfortunately batteries in the scale were dead so I never got a weight on this brute.
View attachment 44101
Strange thing happened too. MNR CO out checking licenses and limits, just doing his job. This strange shaped camo boat with a camo motor (we called it the Navy boat since it looked like military) was out fishing. As the CO approached he tried to drive away so the CO went straight to him. Spent a lot of time at their boat, handed over some paper and they left. They did something wrong that's for sure. When he came to us I was unhooking the pumpkinseed from the crank bait,so we laughed at that. He just wanted to see our licenses, told him we released everything live and he left.
Good hook sets, tight line, keep rod tip pointed down & pray

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks