Fishing Report Inner bay July 31

Jello

Gorgeous morning on the bay. A bit cool but the bay was quite calm and it was sunny. I started shallow with top water and landed a few pike. My goal today was to spend a few hours locating weed patches mid morning. Found six or so, marked them off, and worked them with various baits. Landed 6 good bass, a few drinks, and over 10 pike (plus 3 bite offs). One bass was 4.6 lbs.

20210731-094949-exported-14561-2.jpg

So many pike it's crazy. A pike hitting a frog is still a 10/10 on the excitement scale. Just a pain when you want to run some fineness baits and keep getting bit off.

Ive started using wire leaders , I got tired of loosing lures , I’m sure they are affecting the presentation of some baits , but it’s better than loosing a couple every time we are out

I wouldn’t be so worried about jig heads and plastics

But the cost of some hard baits almost $20 a piece can add up real quick

Ive started using wire leaders , I got tired of loosing lures , I’m sure they are affecting the presentation of some baits , but it’s better than loosing a couple every time we are out
Flouro leader, tied directly to mainline with a double uni. Best of both worlds.

@Jello that thing is a tank, congrats

I’ve started using a short leader made of single strand titanium wire (knot2kinky or AFW) and crimp sleeves for certain baits that are pike magnets. The stuff is slick but I triple the line through the crimp and haven’t had one fail yet.

Been running them on weedless swimbaits and swim jigs. I connect them direct to the hook/jig so there is no snap to catch weeds.

I rarely lose faster moving baits like chatterbaits, spinner baits, etc, to pike. It's the slower presentations of soft plastics that they tend to steal. I'll run up to 20lb fluorocarbon leaders on a pitching type Texas rig. But fluoro sinks and heavy fluoro is stiff and kills the action of some set ups.

That big bass came on a med-light rod with 15lb braid and an 8lb fluoro leader. Hardly a tap when she hit. I worked the same area with jigs and a tex rigged craw with not much luck. Went lighter and started getting fish.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks