Information for Whitestone Lake - Muskoka lakes chain

W

whitetailhunter

I've booked this 2,400 sq. ft. cottage situated on Gibson Bay on Whitestone Lake for the first 2 weeks in August with my wife, daughter & son-in-law, my son and 13 year old granddaughter. This wasn't my first choice of time to go considering I'm usually hammering the walleye off Port Bruce at this time of year but it was the only time my daughter could get her vacation from Canada Post.

Anyway, Whitestone is one of the largest of the Muskoka Lakes which is very spread out with secluded bays and dotted with islands which appears to be quite interesting to explore. It also has 2 rivers that flow out into Magnetawan River system. I thought I had fished almost every lake in the near north over the past 48 years but this is one I have never fished. I was wondering if any of you have and I'd appreciate any insight or knowledge you may know of Whitestone Lake that you would like to share. It's located near the town of Dunchurch, Ontario. Thanks guys.

Gibson Bay Cottage
f133f2141513bc7b441a9e2be491000a.jpg

Whitestone Lake
6ea444eb-fcd7-4680-a84d-bf2e698fd4e1.1.10

Last edited by a moderator:
I fished Whitestone Lake once back in the 70's. Walleye fishing was good then. We were on the south end by HWY 124. We were only there for a long weekend, so not much time to explore. Found a bay on the south end where the walleye were hitting and didn't go too far from there. Walleye were eater size. Biggest was maybe 3 lbs. Never got anywhere near the north end. We did find a spot where the rock bottom came up pretty quick. No fish finder back then, just watched the color of the water and went slow in unfamiliar areas. Looks like lots too explore. Good luck! Hope to hear a report when you get back.

Thanks for the reply @garric, hopefully someone who has spent more time on Whitestone will respond. :)

Never been so I can't help you there. But must say the definition of a cottage sure has evolved over the years. Based on the neighborhood I came from in Hamilton that " cottage" would have been confused with the Presidential Palace. I've lived in places smaller than that places sunroom. Very nice ruffing it at the cottage up north. Do you need anyone to be your valet for your vacation?

I'm on another site and will post your question, many from the area of the Muskokas.

Thanks WTP I appreciate any help for this wonderful looking lake. Regarding the cottage, it's not a rental cottage per say in the usual sense as it's really a private vacation home. After many years of disappointing rentals from so-called cottage resorts that had very little in comfort or amenities I started looking into privately owned water-front homes. Many buy these homes for future retirement or just as an investment and paying them off by renting them out for what adds up to a very tidy sum over the years. I found you can rent these homes, and that's what they are, for little more than your usual standard rental cottage from commercial resorts but get every amenity imaginable. I decided to go this route about 10 years ago and was sorry I hadn't started 35 years before that. Check the link below of the cottage I booked for what can be had for $1,600 per week on Gibson Bay on Whitestone Lake and they are available all over the near north. The second link is more money but very luxurious and also on Whitestone.

http://www.ontariocottagerentals.com/f155/

http://www.vrbo.com/123972#rates

Last edited by a moderator:
I've booked this 2,400 sq. ft. cottage situated on Gibson Bay on Whitestone Lake for the first 2 weeks in August with my wife, daughter & son-in-law, my son and 13 year old granddaughter. This wasn't my first choice of time to go considering I'm usually hammering the walleye off Port Bruce at this time of year but it was the only time my daughter could get her vacation from Canada Post.

Anyway, Whitestone is one of the largest of the Muskoka Lakes which is very spread out with secluded bays and dotted with islands which appears to be quite interesting to explore. It also has 2 rivers that flow out into Magnetawan River system. I thought I had fished almost every lake in the near north over the past 48 years but this is one I have never fished. I was wondering if any of you have and I'd appreciate any insight or knowledge you may know of Whitestone Lake that you would like to share. It's located near the town of Dunchurch, Ontario. Thanks guys.

Gibson Bay Cottage
View attachment 1164

Whitestone Lake
6ea444eb-fcd7-4680-a84d-bf2e698fd4e1.1.10

Hi there, for the last two Augusts (one full week at a time) we stayed at a cottage on Whitestone lake, near Dunchurch. The fishing was okay, if you like to fish for Bass. If you have small kids there are lots of sunfish and perch, but as for walleye/pickerel, we caught none and boated all over this lake at all different times during the day. I did catch 1 pike, but no walleye, lots and lots of bass. By the way the water has been very warm in Whitestone and the bass were full of worms!

Hi there, for the last two Augusts (one full week at a time) we stayed at a cottage on Whitestone lake, near Dunchurch. The fishing was okay, if you like to fish for Bass. If you have small kids there are lots of sunfish and perch, but as for walleye/pickerel, we caught none and boated all over this lake at all different times during the day. I did catch 1 pike, but no walleye, lots and lots of bass. By the way the water has been very warm in Whitestone and the bass were full of worms!

Thanks for the reply @ dutchmo. That's not what I was hoping to hear but doesn't surprise me either. August is never very good for fishing in the near north after 2 months of hot summer weather. This is more of a family vacation of adults all over 45 except for my 13 year old granddaughter but it would still be nice to catch a few fish for dinner. I don't mind catching bass but I won't eat them at any time as to me they taste like an old sock.:( Anyhow I'm sure we'll still enjoy ourselves and will post late August how we do.

Not much of a response on OFC either WTH. Good luck and have a great vacation. Fish or no fish. Bass is great fresh. Smallies are better than largemouth, the small 14" or so "greenies" are as good as any perch or Pickerel to me. Might have them once a year, maybe, neighbour keeps small ones and I'll cook them for them. After 2 days in the fridge changes them. Frozen is NFG. Most likely the bass you had were not flopping on the beach fresh.

I have fished this lake every year all year since 1976. There is a lot of water to explore, bass numbers are good with some real biggies, walleye are still in decent numbers but will take some work to find them, big pike are there, but in the heat of August they will be deep. oh yes there is a ton of slab crappies in lake system and please take plenty. I think there are very hard on the pickerel fry. The lake does get busy on the weekend. As for the "worms" in the bass, they are no different than any Muskoka lake
Have fun and explore Whitestone it will treat you as well as you treat it.

Snapper

Thank you for the helpful information @snapper it's much appreciated. Fished Whitestone since '76 wow, I've fished countless lakes in the near north over the years but only a few more than once as I like variety. From the response, unlike you, few have fished Whitestone so it's good to know the fish are at least there. It may take a few days of exploring but I'll find them, the challenge is all part of the fun of fishing to me. Oh by the way my granddaughter will be very happy to cut down the population of crappie for you. ;) :D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks