Induction Cooktop - Initial Impression

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
Reminiscent of a page long ago dedicated to a plasma tv, I am making a post about a new induction cooktop just installed. We purchased a Bosch NIT8060SUC from Arva appliances. They were price competitive with the big box stores. The Bosch is a 30” 4 element unit.

The cutout was a little larger than our old gas cooktop, so we had “The Stone Smith” cut our quartz countertop to fit. I was all set to spend a chunk of change to run a big circuit 130’ or so across my finished basement, but the electrician noticed we had foresight back in 2005 and already had the right cable in a box right below the cooktop 🤓🥳. They just had to put in a new 30 amp breaker and juggle a few wires at the box… and we were cooking with electricity!

Otherwise than being terrified of scratching the glass, we’re really happy with induction cooking!
IMG_1922.jpeg

A buddy had one of those induction ovens and loved it ! Me, I'm old school and like watching the coils turn red. LoL ! I have a new oven in the upstairs kitchen with the glass top burners but rarely use it because I don't want it scratch it up.

I'd be interested in knowing what happens to the top over the months. We have a lot of cast iron and I don't think it is a very good match for induction. Is it loud at all? We have a small table top and the fan runs constantly and while not loud, you know it is on and have to turn off doing the meal so no keeping things warm.

I'd be interested in knowing what happens to the top over the months. We have a lot of cast iron and I don't think it is a very good match for induction. Is it loud at all? We have a small table top and the fan runs constantly and while not loud, you know it is on and have to turn off doing the meal so no keeping things warm.
Hey @Outdoorman, we have a couple of Lodge cast iron pans and we're using them, so they're a good match magnetically, but yeah, you have to be careful not to slide them around on the glass.

There is a noticeable hum at higher power settings, but I wouldn't call it loud. When the opportunity presents, I'll record the unit in operation and put a dB meter next to it. One of the reasons we switched from gas was the loud sound of the exhaust fan required when cooking with that fuel. Now, we don't feel compelled to have the noisy fan on every time we cook something.

One caution is that the magnetic field from the cooktop can affect the operation of a pacemaker.

What else will the magnetic field disrupt ? Phones ? Credit cards ? Dental implants ? Is there a certain distance for safety sake ?
Hey @Old Cut LongPointer, yes, don't put your phone, your credit card or your head on the induction cooktop.:p

TVs were mentioned in the Bosch manual, as were digital thermometers. My 18 year old Panasonic plasma is unaffected in a nearby room. My phone and credit card are still functioning and my mercury amalgam fillings are still intact.

I assumed there is a safety zone or else they wouldn't be on the market but I only have a rough idea how Faraday's Law works . So you can wear a ring but don't place your hand on the unit, same for leaving any metal utensil on it or near it ? Makes me think back to when microwave ovens came out and guys would cover their nads so they wouldn't get nuked. LoL !

Induction cook tops are great. Been running them for four years or so, two houses. Cast iron pans are used regularly, one small scratch from when a heavy, full pan was dragged, but that's it. They wipe clean easily, never any burnt on residue if a pot or pan boils over.
I would never go back to any other electric cook top.
Can't lie, even replaced a working cook top for induction when I moved into the new place. Had to have it.
Very nice purchase, you'll enjoy it!

My sister in law has an induction stove, but hers came with some matching pot set. I guess with hers the pots are matched to each element and won’t work if put in a non -designated element. Looking nice stomp, let’s see what you and mrs stomp can do with it. I’m still a gas guy, with that being said I also prefer 2 stroke 🤷🏻‍♂️🤓👍

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks