IN-LINE PLANER BOARD HELP

jeffro9

Hey guys looking for some advice on some set ups for planer boards.
New to the lake erie walley game.
Looking to set my boat up with a left and right inline board
have two rods to set up
would you recommend leadcore and or mono with snap / inline weights for this?
also do some salmon fishing so would like to be able to do both if possible
if going leadcore how many colours? and do you section line inbetween to clip the boards too?

awesome ill have a read.
does anyone run mono with inline weights? or snap weights
any advantages over lead core?

Hey there - I would also recommend getting some Jet Divers #3 #4 work best. They don't pull as hard on the inline boards and you are able to get your lures down to where the fish are. Things will soon be heating up out of Port Burwell and Bruce so check back often for depths and colours.

Cheers

I have use snap weights, they work well. I also pull bottom bouncers with them. I like the church boards for that because of the adjustable weights on the bottom. Nice when running heavy lead.

It may not be proper technique......but i always run leadcore behind the in-line planers.....8 & 10 colours without problems....I use the Church tackle boards...port is "the walleye board" and starboard is larger TX-44 super planer board......I havnt used the tx-44 much...but supposedle can run dipsy divers behind it......I generally run 2 leadcores off each back corner.....then dipsy divers out each side....and then run 2 more leadcores off planer boards one on each side of boat.......i don't usually run riggers unless fishing Huron or Ontario...I generally put all leadcore in the water ....plus 25-50' of backing and then attach the planer board to the mono backing.....(easier and cheaper to replace mono than lead if damaged from clips....Mono doesn't seem to slip as much in the release as braid or leadcore)

I run 8 colour with braid backing on the small offshore boards without any problem. I just wrap the braid around the clip once so it doesn't slip. I moved the lead weight on the board ahead about an inch too and it runs level in the water. The clip should be on the backing and not on the lead. I tried segmented once but it was a total pain. If you have leadcore between the board and the rod tip it is too heavy and drags in the water which messes up the boards.

awesome ill have a read.
does anyone run mono with inline weights? or snap weights
any advantages over lead core?
I don't use clip weights any more.....but onlt advanatage i see would be allot less line in the water.....close to 600 ' in water when running a 10 colour behind planner board

i put 2 port and 2 starboard penn reels with braid on my walk around rails . on as a poor mans planer board mast and then just run the line off the release clips so i dont have to un clip them and dont loose them just my way , not the right way .

Bascially i have two rods im looking to set up for lake erie. Both line counter reels on 8ft rods. Im open to suggestions on what would be the best set up. Going to run two riggers out the back corners then these other 2 rods. Not sure to go with with boards or divers or what. Figured id ask the pros in here. We are headed to erieau end of july ao just trying to get outfitted to have a chance of boating some eyes

the qauntum coldwaters are the best bang for the buck in my opinion, i like a little softer rod as i use mono. just what works for me

Bascially i have two rods im looking to set up for lake erie. Both line counter reels on 8ft rods. Im open to suggestions on what would be the best set up. Going to run two riggers out the back corners then these other 2 rods. Not sure to go with with boards or divers or what. Figured id ask the pros in here. We are headed to erieau end of july ao just trying to get outfitted to have a chance of boating some eyes

I would spool them with leadcore. I bought some of the thinner lead core this past winter and they should get me more than 10 colours on them with a 25 foot Fluorocarbon leader on each. Much easier for me than fighting Dipsy's. Last year on 2 occasions a good sized Silver Bass took a dipsy and ran across the other 3 lines, what a mess. Just my opinion.

Lots of possibilities......and everyone has there own preferences for what works best.....I was catching walleye 50/50 dipsy divers / leadcore............My opinion is unless you run long leeds (80' +) behind your down riggers you won't catch allot of walleye on riggers....... however you can always use your rigger rods for dipsy divers (but they need line counter reels) ....so you may be best to spool your other two reels with leadcore (full 10 colours on both if flat lining with them...put however many colours you want out) If you plan on using planer boards with them??? then i would rig one ...7 or 8 colour and other 9 or 10

Lots of different ways to get your line to the depth the fish are on any given day! I have both the church tackle and offshore tackle inline boards. They do the same thing and the offshore tackle seems to do things the hard way with the clips. All good stuff above. I don't use lead core -- I use weights and the spring loaded flags. If you see that $25 'kit' and think its a waste of money you won't after you have been dragging around 3-4lber walleye for a while. They often don't release the boards.

My set up also has 2 Big Jon captain packs (form the 90s), 6 ugly sticks (4 are 10ft, 2 are 8ft), reels with counters and whatever line makes sense for the reel.

I want a planer mast but I don't want to put holes in my new boat.

Thoughts on divers vs boards?

You can run both if you like. You can run lead cores on the outside of the spread off of in-line boards and run dipsy divers offset to a 2 or 3 setting inside of them and then downriggers or something else straight out the back....that's been my go to spread since I started trolling.

I have a pair of offshore inline boards haven't used them yet but just wondering should I upgrade to the tattle flag kit any advice tips thxs in advance

I am only working with a small sample size here but I've always had no problems telling when there's a fish on due to the relatively large size of the walleye hooked.The boards dramatically change their path and even disappear underwater ---- I have seen fish dragged around out there but on dipseys.Maybe if you're using worms and attracting smaller junkfish the flag would be useful - or in locations where there are a lot of smaller walleye but that isn't my experience around here on Erie
I have good luck with the inlines early in the day because I'm just running a body bait especially reef runners back about 200 feet and they are not too deep. Once the sun comes up higher in the sky we have found the baits we use are probably not running deep enough and leadcore/dipseys take over- inlines are usually in the boat by 11 or noon . If I am determined to long line a bodybait after that its straight out the back and I add a snap weight as the day progresses.Tail dancers are excellent in this application and reef runners too - in the past Hot lips were our go-tos but don't use them much any more. We use the Tail dancers on lead core too with great success - go figure

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks