In Line Boards

yellowfever

I find it amazing that guys are using those in line boards for walleye. I mean between the board, a jet or dipsey, and lure and bait what play do you get out of a 4lb eye? I mean it has to be like reeling in a log. If you have a 14 footer and can't run a mast and boards ok, but other than that I just don't see it. I'm interested in what other fishermen have to say on this topic

I know what you are saying about the boards. We however do use the inline boards they have a few advantages: rapid deployement, no slack line, greater horizontal and verticle movement with wave action. Even use with 11 colour lead and copper line. Still get a good fight and need teamwork to execute the whole operation. Here is a stupid video of the crew reeling in a rainbow on copper with inline board. Video starts late in the fight. Still can't explain why this fish took out so much line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ExUI6VMUyE

Both type of boards have their purpose. the big boards and mast are used in big water with multiple lines out per side, while the inline boards are better suited for smaller water/calmer areas. I use both at different times of the year.

Blastr

i unclip the board when it comes to the boat then you have full fight from the fish 100 to 500 feet of line whatever your running
i run offshore boards with or18 upgrades
hope this helps

I use the inline boards with deep divers, worm harness, spinner baits.The boards i use are the Offshore you would be suprised how they work in rough water. i also use the diving weights with the inline boards. Go to www.offshoretackle.com for more information on how to use the boards and products that will help put more fish in your cooler.
Getting itchy to use my inline boards this spring in LAKE ONT. for Browns will run alot of body baits and spoons for browns.
Hope this helps gives you more insight on inline boards Musky guys love the boards on St. Clare.
Tight lines
:)[:eek:)]:D

I run a 22 ftr and in the last 3 years that I have learned to use inline boards I have not used my big boards on the mast. I always run6 boards and can tell at a glance what's going on. When you learn to read the flags you can let line out to a rod to force feed a missed hit. It takes some time to learn, but once you do you'll be hooked. No pun intended.

quote:
Originally posted by yellowfever

I find it amazing that guys are using those in line boards for walleye. I mean between the board, a jet or dipsey, and lure and bait what play do you get out of a 4lb eye? I mean it has to be like reeling in a log. If you have a 14 footer and can't run a mast and boards ok, but other than that I just don't see it. I'm interested in what other fishermen have to say on this topic

I'm not sure what you mean about "reeling in a log" unless you are letting the board slide down to the fish which truly does suck. As Reeldrag said, most guys clip the board solid onto the line with an OR18 realease and unclip it from the line when it reaches the boat. This leaves just you, your line and your fish; the board is out of the picture. We run them with lead core, bottom bouncers, deep diving cranks, and inline weights and wouldn't leave home without them.

quote:
Originally posted by yellowfever

I have to agree with you. All that crap on your line catching Walleye is not as much fun as drifting with a jig or harness to feel the thrill of a Walleye picking up your bait and wondering, should I set the hook now. I use boards on Quinte but it's not much fun dragging in a 10 to 12 Lbs. walleye when you have 5 other boards out and keep trolling. Doing so, your just a meat hunter or looking for a trophy picture as we do, then the fish is released. You sure as heck wouldn't want to eat a walleye more than 4 Lbs. Id sooner catch a Sheephead on Quinte, better fight. Then as some say, adding metal line and a trolling saucer to the line. I'd have more fun winching my boat on the trailer. If one wants to troll, 2 guys to a boat, a few split shots and your bait then stop the motor when fish-on, feel the fight. Walleye are not known to be notorious fighters. I've always wanted to try and drift on Erie for Walleye once you find them.

last season was my first using any planer board and i ended up building my own mast and boards as the inlines seemed to be more of a pain than anything. for inlines you have to be sure you're rod, reel, line, and rod holders are beefy enough. with the mast and boards you can literally use an ultra light rod with 4lb line and hold the rod all day if you really wanted too.

with the mast i put the boards out when i start and they don't come back to the boat until the end of the day and when a fish hits you're fighting nothing but the fish the entire time.

with inlines i hear you really need to watch them for weeds and small fish on the hook. with the mast there's no doubt as the line will pop out of the release when you snag weeds or a fish is hooked.

In spring in the Colchester area most use the inline boards for pulling worm harnesses its just a system used to get your baits away from boat motor noise.

Inlines work in rough water ,we have used them in 6 footers,on my buddies boat with a wider beam than my boat we run 12 boards,six per side.If they are not running right in rough water its because your rods are not high enough off the water and the line is dragging in the swells.No release clips needed,no 300 dollar mast,no 8 inch perch spinning around for the last 2 miles twisting your line,you can tell when your crawler just got ripped off by a white perch,if you want a good fight go fishing for carp or channel cats or phone my X wife.:)

Big Rod
<'[[[[[[><
www.bigrodsguideservice.ca

Big Rod I agree with you were not catching walleye for the fight just the frying pan if you want to catch fish that fight go to lake ontario and catch kings

I,m sure that most know that walleye will swallow a bait and continue to swim along at that speed and may never release from the planer board. With an inline board it will fall back ever so slightly and you will notice it where you won't on big boards. How many of us have checked lines after a quiet 1/2 hour only to find a small sheep or silver or perch that has been drowned from dragging it? You would notice this unproductive rod with inline boards.Not saying that they're for everyone but I'm a believer.

I have one inline board that I deploy to get a bigger spread off of my 16' on those 4-5 times I get brave & head out in the deep water for trolling. It has worked well but I still have not perfected it. Caught a few nice walleye using with a Reef Runner deep diver early in the day...also lost one fish when the board slid down to the swivel and knocked the fish off, but have now started using a 5' flouro leader like on my other setups and that should prevent further issues.Also will try to use a higher rod tip like BR suggests as the boards can only support shallower running presentations in my limited experience which limits them to early season/morning use. I would like to get another one to run on the other side as it does seem to be an effective tool for me.

I want to live forever...so far so good

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks