Importing a Boat Under Company Name

Shank

Hi. Looking to chat with someone who has purchased and imported a US boat and registered it under their corporation name. Wondering how different the process of importation is. Very little info found on line in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

I have imported my Wellcraft from New York State without any issues. Didn’t have to pay New York State taxes thou. All I can say is if it’s boat and trailer you’re bringing in, then have the dealership/owner make out 2 bills of sales. The customs likes 2 bills of receipts and makes the paper work of importing easy and that’s where I paid the taxes on the value of boat and trailer. They took total value spent in US funds converted to Can funds and the taxes was paid there.
As for registering it went all under my name for personal use after getting it home.
I even brought it home without a licence plate or a trip permit ( if that’s allowed ) until I got it home without any issues.
This was at the border crossing in Gananoque

IMG_1164.jpeg

Bringing an item or boat into Canada for personal use isn't all that difficult but when importing anything commercially, it's a huge can of worms. Even simple things get complicated. I would suggest contacting a broker to help out with it.... I have used Peace Bridge Brokerage before and it wasn't too bad. As @Three Bouys boys suggests though, get separate bills of sale for the trailer, the boat, and they motor since they are all taxed differently.

Thanks guys for the input. I did bring my last ranger home from the US 10 years ago but figured it was much differently commercially. Now after researching, it appears as though it will be the same process. Stop at US customs with title, bill of sale and then stop at Canadian Customs for importation purposes. Through all the literature I still can't find definitive info saying I'll pay hst at the border or not. I've heard many people on both sides when Importing.

On the bill of sale I will have my company name as the purchaser with my own personal name as the co purchaser. This is the same way it's done when buying a truck under your company name.

I do get your suggestion for separate bill of sales however I fully suspect a single bill of sale with itemized pricing for the boat, engine and trailer should do the same thing. One person told me that the engine isn't taxed. Has anyone else heard this.

Any follow up points or thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks again.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks