Fishing Report I touched a Dino

Fishermanpaul

Last night I went fishing at the St. Clair river and hooked into something massive! This fish went on 5 or 6 insane runs and a huge jump. At a certain point I thought there was no way I would see what it was especially as it got into heavy current. Not to mention I was using 10 lb braid with a 6 lb flourocarbon leader and just waiting for it to hit a rock and snap or snap under the pressure…. But after a struggle I got the fish in and managed to wrangle it over and get a quick picture of this massive Lake Sturgeon!! I didn’t get any good pictures, of course I was by myself and I don’t believe you’re supposed to take them out of the water due to being endangered, so I just sent the old gal on her way. What an experience.

Also later I managed to hook into a smaller walleye as a bonus on the night :) the bite should start picking up soon

Attachments

• B4185882-6E2B-48CA-A7A8-5F9F597743E1.jpeg
    B4185882-6E2B-48CA-A7A8-5F9F597743E1.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 261
  • 469A2C52-471A-41D1-994B-D3027652F061.jpeg
    469A2C52-471A-41D1-994B-D3027652F061.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4540.MOV
    12.6 MB
  • EF02EB4F-26EE-4E5E-A663-82249E49D300.jpeg
    EF02EB4F-26EE-4E5E-A663-82249E49D300.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_4539.MOV
    12.9 MB
Were you bouncing bottom with a worm harness out at the mouth of the river ? I know of two other guys that cought dinoes there. They seem to be stacked up there.

Were you bouncing bottom with a worm harness out at the mouth of the river ? I know of two other guys that cought dinoes there. They seem to be stacked up there.
I was actually jigging a swimbait just off bottom and I was mid river but he didn't bite it snagged on him so I can't take credit for that

It sure is a surprise to see one of these things pop out of the water. A few years back on Big Creek I thought I tied into a huge carp, but it turned out to be a 4’ sturgeon. Hopefully one day their populations will increase enough that we can target them for catch and release.

I remember going to the Nottawasaga River as a kid for the salmon run and watching tons of 4-6’+ long sturgeon stacked up in pools and completely jumping out of the water. But I doubt they have such big runs like that anymore.

Congrats on the possibly once in a lifetime catch!

It sure is a surprise to see one of these things pop out of the water. A few years back on Big Creek I thought I tied into a huge carp, but it turned out to be a 4’ sturgeon. Hopefully one day their populations will increase enough that we can target them for catch and release.

I remember going to the Nottawasaga River as a kid for the salmon run and watching tons of 4-6’+ long sturgeon stacked up in pools and completely jumping out of the water. But I doubt they have such big runs like that anymore.

Congrats on the possibly once in a lifetime catch!
that would certainly be something to see! and it would be awesome if we got a catch and release... especially since the other side of the river is allowed to fish for them

We are going to St Clair (US side) on Sunday to chase some, they are getting tons over there. These are Lake Sturgeon though which are typically under 75" or so and not nearly as big as their cousins the White Sturgeon that live out in the Fraser River in BC. They get 8-10 feet plus. That's on my to-do list as well but for now we'll stick with the local version.

Crazy! I have never seen Lake sturgeon that size. Caught lots of monster whites on the Frasier, seen lots of Lake sturgeon at Niagara but never that length..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks