hut needs new tarp looking for input

skinny

ok so my old fold down that got dug out after sitting for 2 years needs a new tarp. my son patched it up so we could go but I want to replace need at least 9x14 and would like something that doesn't let light through. I have attached a pic of the hut. and open to suggestions on tarps nothing to heavy as we drag it out

will the brown or silver let light through

Attachments

• 63494136042__F8AA1B67-52BA-4D8E-B0AF-B304726B6E9D.JPEG
    63494136042__F8AA1B67-52BA-4D8E-B0AF-B304726B6E9D.JPEG
    285.8 KB · Views: 35
I built a hut like that in the early 90's.I used a truck tarp.It wasn't heavy.What was heavy was all the junk I hauled around in it.By the end of its life the tarp out lived the structure.

I built one of those years ago and also used a black truck tarp, got it at Hornsby canvas, if I remember correctly it was around 175$ about 15 years ago, still going strong

At $175 for the tarp alone
May as well go to Canadian tire tomorrow and buy pop up tent on sale for $200

@shasang at least a pop up tent, pops up and down, and can be packed to travel.

only reason I’d build my own be to save money.
if not saving anything I don’t see the point in stapling together a tarp and light wood frame.

@shasang ok got it ill get in line and keep my big mouth shut. Be sure not to give my opinion unless asked for!!!!!!

Well I’m gonna put in opinion in , build your own , I’ve build collapsible that work great and are totally worth spending a little money to build , I have a big wood hut with wood stove , and two different clam portable huts , if buying one, clam is the best way to go in my opinion, they are the only ones I know of that have full floor I have an clam s2000 and 5600 , buy a good tarp and build it the way you want , and enjoy many years after a tent style shelter is past its life expectancy

Mine folded down and fit in back of pickup, strong enough to drive quad on top of it so no need for a trailer, was worth the couple hundred I had into it and as I said it is still being used now 15 years later

had one of those years ago was one of the best fishing shacks ive had very mobile and easy to tow
gonna built another in the near future go with a black tarp makes it alot darker inside easier to see down the holes

The heavy duty grey tarp is what I used years ago and worked great
Ice shelters are quite hard to find right now. Pretty much sold out everywhere. If you can find one jump on it.
I have the shappell dx3000 for a 2 man it’s great. It folds down and in half, briefcase style. I would recommend a smitty sled when you get a pop of any kind.

I will suggest a 10 mil heavy duty tarp they are 100% shading , i have a few from harbour freight but there is some on amazon and princess auto or tsc might have them also .

Hornsby canvas. Mine is 20 years old and still good to go. Cost me 85 bucks back then. Black inside light grey on outside. Not sure what they cost today but really worth it .

I would use the poly lock tracks for greenhouse/hoop houses buy a roll of poly very durable and weather resistant. As that’s exactly what it is designed for. You could black it out on the inside. The roll will last a lifetime changing it up every couple of years just for a fresh start. But I imagine it last longer then that. Since it is likely stored out of the sun when not in use.

I went to the lumber yard and got the tarp off the wood that gets trucked in white one side dark on the other get 2 first one on goes dark in 2nd one dark out worked for years and was free!

Maybe give a thought on an insulated tarp?

Insulated Tarp.

The 12'X20" weighs about 13lbs; so it's not over heavy; plus you wont need the whole tarp making even lighter.
The insulation will help with holding heat in the hut, it'll reduce the amount of condensation on the inside and it'll darken the hut; that you may want a flashlight. :cool:
I Have one on a portable/tarp sheds 12"X12". It takes nothing to heat it up with a small electric heater and even on a sunny day, I need to turn on the redneck chandelier; a trouble light. LOL

Dan.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks