humminbird helix 5 problem

rbr-wrm

my helix 5 shows fish, bottom, and structure but not my bait I have adjusted the transducer forward and back but still nothing and I have suspended a large weight under it but no mark ,Any suggestion would be appreciated I have increased sensitivity all the way with nothing, very frustrating
Thanks Dave

I have a helix 5 On the bow of our boat, Doesn’t seem to ever mark our bait or canon ball. Our Lowrance at the console sometimes marks our 10lb canon ball but never our 8lb...

i dont use helix products, but am interested in your issue as one would think, that simply dropping a jig vertical would mark your screen.

this unit is just a regulr helix 5, or perhaps a si ,or di unit?

Did you try it on jigging mode? You can also try resetting you system defaults and start from there.

depending on the depth you may also need to change from clear mode to max mode in your advanced settings. typically anything over 20' needs to be on max mode

I did try jigging and max mode and I think just reset to default and see what happens The unit is a gps si di unit

Perhaps a wider angle transducer would solve your issue. I have a Helix 5 DI. With the boat stopped it will pick up my cannon balls. At 2.5 MPH, the balls trail behind the boat enough that they are out of view of the transducer. You may also simply need to adjust your sensitivity. Mine will even pick up the thermocline on some days with the sensitivity up.

Confirm the transducer is set at the proper angle(compare to the water line on your hull) Check your settings. My hds marks both my 8lb cannonblls no matter where i have them. My friends simrads do the same. I would question a sonar that could not ping off a 8-10lb chunk of lead.

I have exact model. I would say it's either your sensitivity setting or not mounted properly. When I am perch fishing it marks pickeral rig and when drop anchor looks like a nuke went off

son of perchin what is your sensitivity set at and do you use switchfire or jigging mode
thanks for all the replies Dave

son of perchin what is your sensitivity set at and do you use switchfire or jigging mode
thanks for all the replies Dave
Can't remember exact settings. Been awhile since I messed with it. I would just say take it out on water and try playing with it

Back