hum, so why are boat launch closed

I thought by now that everyone knew that municipal health officials are the ones who decide if ramps are open or closed, NOT the mayor, premiere or prime minister.
While that is true, the health officials only have power because it is given to them by the municipality. It can be taken away but who would put themselves out there and take that risk? No politician would that is for sure!

Well I Just seen a letter from my buddy that owns a marina and it does State that due to provincial order ! But that is also coming from municipal so maybe there passing the buck back and forth who knows anymore

I hope your rant makes you feel better, but it's not the Mayors of H/N, it's the Medical Officer of Health for H/N that has made these closures or Ford.
Have you watched the videos on the norfolk page "messages from the mayor" she totally does not want anyone in the area. Its funny that she is blaming the health officer for the closures/bans.
She has video clips at the end of her schpeel of other mayors in italy complete with swearing and everything. She is completely power tripping. She didnt want anyone around right from the start.

Well I Just seen a letter from my buddy that owns a marina and it does State that due to provincial order ! But that is also coming from municipal so maybe there passing the buck back and forth who knows anymore
No the province ordered Marina's to close, they did not order boat launches to close... there is a difference.

Ya got em fired up wave runner lol????

Have you guys been living under a rock? Launches are open in many spots, it all depends on the local municipality, Launches were never specifically closed by the Ontario government,
What launches are open right now? I haven't checked yet.

I thought by now that everyone knew that municipal health officials are the ones who decide if ramps are open or closed, NOT the mayor, premiere or prime minister.
Incorrect. example Sarnia municipal launch. Sarnia Mayor made the decisions and at least had the balls to say he made the decision. Why would the municipal model vary so greatly from the federal and provincial models? The prime minister and the premier have both stated all along they take “advice” from the medical officer but ultimately the decision is up to them. I am sure there are probably loopholes to this were the medical officer could override the leadership but doubt very much many of them really want to play politics.

Where are you getting this mis-information from? The deputy mayor told me in the below its the Mayors decision...
As per Tracey Bailey Deputy Mayor of Lakeshore on May 8th 1030pm:

The Emergency Control Group, The Mayor has the Authority to close the Marina. He has sole authority as an emergency has been declared. The decision appears to have been made in consultation with others and evidence points to the fact that the marina operations are intertwined with the operations of the boat
ramp. The staff are Marina staff and the boat ramp is marketed as part of the marina. As such, since it is operated as part of a marina, it stands that the boat ramp remains closed as long as it is part of the marina.

The temporary closure of places of non-essential business like the marina appeared to be a wise choice to help protect the health and safety of the people of Ontario in response to the declared emergency.

That said, is it time to change that?
Is this a black and white matter?
No.
It could be argued that the Town’s boat launch is a stand-alone facility and that it is not closed by virtue of the Non-Essential Business Order or simply that it is time to revisit the decision.
Also, it could be argued that the Emergency Order Closing Recreational Facilities does
include closure of a boat launch despite a technical legal interpretation based on the
spirt and intent behind the issue of the Emergency Orders.
This uncertainty is reflected in the patchwork approach across the Province; some public launches are open and some are closed.
Town’s Administration recommends that the public boat launch remain
closed as does the health unit to reduce potential burden on the health system and to prevent congregating.

All of that said, and based on the legal opinion received, I too believe that the launch should be reopened. As such, i will table a notice of motion at our upcoming meeting on May 12th.

Last edited:
I'm getting the feeling there all expecting a bail out from the government or they would all be open now

Incorrect. example Sarnia municipal launch. Sarnia Mayor made the decisions and at least had the balls to say he made the decision. Why would the municipal model vary so greatly from the federal and provincial models? The prime minister and the premier have both stated all along they take “advice” from the medical officer but ultimately the decision is up to them. I am sure there are probably loopholes to this were the medical officer could override the leadership but doubt very much many of them really want to play politics.
And the st Clair is hot right now, fish being caught everywhere, and big fish at that. I've been getting eyes over 27 inches consistently.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks