Off Topic Hull Cleaner

Cap'nkirk

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hey gang I am having a difficult time getting the gunk off the bottom of my fiberglass boat. The cleaner I used to use they don't sell any more (marina Shores) and sold me Starbrite hull cleaner, well it is environmentally friendly so I may as well of spit on it. I have tried toilet bowl cleaner and even went to Canadian tire and bought some Hydrochloric acid to see if that would work. Nope still on there. The stuff I used to use would go on and stick like a gel then half hour pressure wash off. I am using my gas power washer 2700 PSI. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated or were I can go to get a good cleaner ,North Erie Marina maybe?? At a loss with a messy bottom...Lol

Last year I got a tub off stuff from Sandboy called Slimy Grimy. I don’t remember how much it was but I thought expensive at the time. However it did a great job and I only used a 1/4 of the tub on my 17’ fibreglass boat. If I get four years use out of it not too expensive at all.

Another product that works great is bowl brite toilet bowl cleaner.....plug your nose tho...

Kept my old boat at a dock one year, I made the mistake saying I’ll clean that later.. apparently you need to get it off right away while it’s still wet and fresh otherwise you run into these problems where nothing takes it off.
the boat had to get acid cleaned twice at NEM to get it all off.

Skinny Grimmy. Spray on with mixed hot water. Have a beverage. Spray spot that didn't slide off. Might have to brush if it's really bad. Key is to let it soak in.

Toilet bowel cleaner is the fastest easiest cheapest way but it is acid. The home hardware brand works. But remember if you have a galvanized trailer take the boat off the trailer or bye bye galvanize coating.

@hvyhaul It is on there really good and I am having a little success. A friend of mine gave me a bottle of Hull Cleaner, goes on like a gel worked ok, I do have alot of it off but it isnt the way I have seen it in the past. Now the weather is getting cold time to put the power washer away.

That's too bad @kirkplewes I used up the remaining 3/4 bottle of Muriatic Acid I had from the late Spring cleaning when I had the Bimini made for the boat.

Some areas required 2 applications but I'm very happy with the finished result.

I've ordered a container of Slimy Grimy from Amazon as a test, it's back in stock $49.97. I'll see what it does next year as the Acid is a no fooling around product.

$15.99 vs 49.97 is a 3 -1 cost factor so SG better perform. :)

That's too bad @kirkplewes I used up the remaining 3/4 bottle of Muriatic Acid I had from the late Spring cleaning when I had the Bimini made for the boat.

Some areas required 2 applications but I'm very happy with the finished result.

I've ordered a container of Slimy Grimy from Amazon as a test, it's back in stock $49.97. I'll see what it does next year as the Acid is a no fooling around product.

$15.99 vs 49.97 is a 3 -1 cost factor so SG better perform. :)
Muriatic acid is the best, just watch out if you have a galvanized or aluminum trailer to cover them up when spraying.

Hey gang I am having a difficult time getting the gunk off the bottom of my fiberglass boat. The cleaner I used to use they don't sell any more (marina Shores) and sold me Starbrite hull cleaner, well it is environmentally friendly so I may as well of spit on it. I have tried toilet bowl cleaner and even went to Canadian tire and bought some Hydrochloric acid to see if that would work. Nope still on there. The stuff I used to use would go on and stick like a gel then half hour pressure wash off. I am using my gas power washer 2700 PSI. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated or were I can go to get a good cleaner ,North Erie Marina maybe?? At a loss with a messy bottom...Lol

I use spray nine on my boat and it seems to work well.

I have a full gallon of Muriatic acid if anyone needs it. I don't have use for it anymore so if anyone wants it, shoot me a text at 807-707-5456. This is the best way to get hold of me this weekend as I won't be near the computer. I'm in St. Thomas.
Don't want anything for it...it's free.

I used SG again on mine which was in the water all summer. It did a great job. On the side of the boat that is shaded at the dock the crud just rolled off when the SG hit. On the sunny side it took a couple of applications and a bit or scrubbing but quite easy. I would say I have three to four more years in the tub so for my 17' boat it costs less than $10/year.

I tried S 9 at Bimini time. I bought 2 bottles.

The first one did nothing (IMHO), you are welcome to the one I didn't open.

I use it on an old Yamaha outboard in the spring with a micro fiber cloth and comes out looking next to new

Slimy Grimy is just oxalic acid under a commercial name. I purchase Oxalic acid at my drug store (they order it in) and for about $15 I have enough for about 5 years to do a 21ft fibreglass boat. Mix it in a garden sprayer, soak, light scrub on tough spots, rinse, apply again where needed. Works as a deck cleaner as well

Last edited:
Captain phab hands down .. use to do the muriatic acid 50/50 with warm water but hard on the face skin and eyes of not protected ... this stuff will make the gelcoat look like new ...20201101_152437.jpg

Back