Off Topic How to train a dog to be a fishing partner(Boat)

rockin-steelhead

Hello Everyone,
I have recently adopted a germain shepard puppy and would like to be able to take her out on the boat with me down the road. I will have a life vest on her etc. I was looking for some helpful tips from board members who have or had a dog join them in their boat. Thanks in advance,

Congrats on the pup! We need a picture!

Practice on dry land when she is small enough to carry. Lots of treats, keep it positive, and do it often. If your boat is wrapped, start off in spring. When you go out to organize things, clean/prep the boat etc. bring her along every time. And be sure she is used to water as well! Lots of time walking by the river or beach and a chance to swim takes care of that. And do some shore fishing- learning not to fetch the lure is an important one!

When its time to get on the water, figure on the trips being short, and pick calm weather. They usually like the wind when you go fast but the rolling in waves isn't nice. If she gets carsick, use gravol.

I might suggest also barbless hooks. I have pinched many down. It can prevent the kids and dogs from having a bad day being hooked turn into a ruined day of fishing if you must pack up and go to the doctor.

Place training #1 so she isn't bouncing around the boat and teach her to pee in the splash well. My dog pees on command which is surprisingly useful in everyday life.

Hello Everyone,
I have recently adopted a germain shepard puppy and would like to be able to take her out on the boat with me down the road. I will have a life vest on her etc. I was looking for some helpful tips from board members who have or had a dog join them in their boat. Thanks in advance,
shadey top is important also carpeted ramp for on and off at the beach.we had a 150 lb st bernard.a foot note she barked when the down rigger rod fired!always before we heard or saw it.lol

shadey top is important also carpeted ramp for on and off at the beach.we had a 150 lb st bernard.a foot note she barked when the down rigger rod fired!always before we heard or saw it.lol
That's awesome! I need a dog that can detect when I am dragging a small fish 🤣 But not a 150lb one that takes up all the floor space!

Thanks everyone for you input. I am hoping to get take her on walks by a river etc in the near future. Hoping she can join fishing on land and in the boat.

My main advice with dogs in boats is always watch your hooks. And I don't mean the on the rod you happen to be casting, although that's important as well. I once had to call the cottage for another boat to come out so we could perform surgery on my English Pointer. I had taken him out in the tinner to do a bit of fishing and the big goober had leaned up against my spare rod with a Rapala on it. Of course he got hooked up. Totally my fault, but I had just never considered it. I was always worried about catching him on a cast. We had to push the hook through and use the bolt cutters to cut the end off. Fortunately he was a steady dog and no harm no foul. Just a quick trip to the Vet for some antibiotics to be safe. I now either locker everything or have a plastic hook jacket on spare rods when our beagle is on the boat.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks