How to tell if an out board with console can be converted to tiller?

FrankTheTank

I have bought a 35hp evenruide last year on a dilapadated boat to transfer to a 16' i am goimg to be builing this year but i want to start running the motor soon so since it hass the remote controlls hooked up already i was wondering how to tell if it can be converted to a tiller for the time being since the tinner is bare bones and i am putting litterly everything into it slowly this just gets me out fiahing with it early.
Thanks

I would think just about anything can be converted to a tiller, just disconnect all the cables at the existing motor and swap the motors out. Problems are going to be with any holes in the transom from the console motor. It might be an awkward reach to get to the tiller not knowing what you have, but as long as you can sit comfortably I wouldn't thinks a big deal.

The motor is on a boat im not going use im going to put it on the 16' i was hoping to convert it to tiller untill i build the floor and console and put the controlls back on it. I just dont have the time or money to build it right away so i thought the boat floats i use it with a 7.5 long shaft i just wanted to start running the motor plus the 16' will be a huge advantage over the 12' taki g people out with me
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240507-183002.png
    Screenshot_20240507-183002.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
if that is what your mounting the tiller to, there could be challenges. It does seem to have already had a motor drilled and mounted to the transom. So when you mount the tiller will you be bolting it to the transom or just using wing nuts? If it's wing nuts you may actually mount the tiller off to one side if the previous bolts get in the way.

do you ever get out to the inner bay? We're at Marina Shores.

if that is what your mounting the tiller to, there could be challenges. It does seem to have already had a motor drilled and mounted to the transom. So when you mount the tiller will you be bolting it to the transom or just using wing nuts? If it's wing nuts you may actually mount the tiller off to one side if the previous bolts get in the way.

do you ever get out to the inner bay? We're at Marina Shores.
Not bolting it just the wing nuts and the bar lock from nut to nut. The question was more about how do you know if you can put a tiller handle on the motor i dont have a pick of the side of the motor but i can take one tonight i beilive looking at the motor it may have been a tiller and the last owner swapped it to controls.
No i am in the dunville smithville area and dont get to long point much last time i was there was ice fishing in a blizzard and my friend went thru the pressure crack and my hut blew clear cross to the states

Most times those motors were made as a Tiller and then factory converted to Remote/Console mode simply by removing the "stick" and adding necessary cables. So what you want (need ?) is the "stick" aka control arm ? You might find someone here junking a motor you can strip or search the internet for boat junkers ?

I forgot to add ; There should be the base of the Control arm protruding already on the side of the motor. Like a shoulder bump where the arm attaches to ? If it doesn't have that ...... ooooooh boy, it could get costly ?

Last edited:
Ok thanks ill take a look when im home if its too hard ill just leave it the way she be now untill i get the floor and driver console built thanks

is it electric start? Just that some wiring and battery will also be required.

You’re also going to need the shaft that hooks to the carburetor and probably other mounting plates or brackets for that shaft. I’m almost sure you’ll need it to convert to a tiller.

I deal with a older gent in beamsville works on motors he a retired boat mechanic and hes got tons of cheap parts and service. Thats why i was thinking of taking it to a tiller for now untill i can build the console and run all my cables.
is it electric start? Just that some wiring and battery will also be required.
It is electric start

This is the side of the motor where the arm would normally be i honstly dont know what to look for to see if it has ever been a tiller or not. Any idea?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20240509_070541_HDR.jpg
    20240509_070541_HDR.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240509_070545_HDR.jpg
    20240509_070545_HDR.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240509_070549_HDR.jpg
    20240509_070549_HDR.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 15
Found a guy on Kijiji ( Ad ID# 1684745095 ) in Hamilton that sells all kinds of makes and sizes of outboard motors parts and YES he has tiller handles plus so much more.

Unless you have long arms like an orangutang reaching a tiller handle over that splash well will be a challenge for sure.
Yeah i was going build a padded seat out of some plywood scrap to sit on ive been running it with a 7.5hp and its a pain in ass.

Found a guy on Kijiji ( Ad ID# 1684745095 ) in Hamilton that sells all kinds of makes and sizes of outboard motors parts and YES he has tiller handles plus so much more.
That is probably the guy says hamilton on his ads his name is hanns i bout my 9.9 off him and had my. Dads 7.5hp tuned up by him too

Okee dokee ! So you know that guy.

I have a clamp on extension handle for a tiller and found it good for slow motoring my duckboat through the marsh because I'm standing up but I wouldn't trust it at high speeds due to the arc radius when steering.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks