How to smoke Walleye

Outdorman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I want to try to smoke some walleye but not sure which way to do it. Should I just use the same recipe as trout or salmon and brine, then sit over night in the fridge to form the pellicle and then smoke at 180 degrees until flakey? Should I be putting a rub on the fish? Looking for anyone who has done this before successfully.

thank you very much in advance.

Half cup of salt in a zip lock bag with water. Put walleye in overnight. In the morning rinse well and dry. I us pepper garlic powder if you like and brush on some honey and smoke with the smoke from corn cobs. Cook till it reaches the way you like. Delicious. I use 26 inch plus fish fillets skin on!!

Half cup of salt in a zip lock bag with water. Put walleye in overnight. In the morning rinse well and dry. I us pepper garlic powder if you like and brush on some honey and smoke with the smoke from corn cobs. Cook till it reaches the way you like. Delicious. I use 26 inch plus fish fillets skin on!!
thank you very much, can't wait to try it soon. I'm guessing that the smoke temp is 180 and the time is less than one hour?

I want to try to smoke some walleye but not sure which way to do it. Should I just use the same recipe as trout or salmon and brine, then sit over night in the fridge to form the pellicle and then smoke at 180 degrees until flakey? Should I be putting a rub on the fish? Looking for anyone who has done this before successfully.

thank you very much in advance.
I've roasted whole smaller walleye on my kamado @ 450*. Scale and gut the fish and make shallow cuts on the sides, rub with your choice of seasoning, I just use my regular BBQ seasoning (Memphis dust) throw a couple lemon wedges in the cavities. Cook until meat reads 140*. They come out looking pretty impressive on the platter.

I've roasted whole smaller walleye on my kamado @ 450*. Scale and gut the fish and make shallow cuts on the sides, rub with your choice of seasoning, I just use my regular BBQ seasoning (Memphis dust) throw a couple lemon wedges in the cavities. Cook until meat reads 140*. They come out looking pretty impressive on the platter.
so similar to trout/salmon , I would have never thought to try that. Thank you very much !!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks