how far to lead ducks passing by

VWMAN

Just wondering how far to lead a duck that is passing by, can anyone offer suggestions?

It's a very simple calculation VWMAN. All that you need to know is: 1)How fast the duck is going, 2)How far away the duck is, 3)How fast your shot travels, on average, over that distance, 4) the speed of the wind and whether it is a head or tail wind, and 5)How fast you are swinging your gun when you pull the trigger. ;)

Not sure that I have every been able to be too far infront of a passing Canvasback at 40yrds with a tail wind.

Before anything else, you should make sure that you follow through your shots. In otherwords, keep the gun moving. I still have days where I slow or stop my swing on ther trigger pull. 9 time out of 10, that's the problem.

quote:
Originally posted by canvasbacksca

It's a very simple calculation VWMAN. All that you need to know is: 1)How fast the duck is going, 2)How far away the duck is, 3)How fast your shot travels, on average, over that distance, 4) the speed of the wind and whether it is a head or tail wind, and 5)How fast you are swinging your gun when you pull the trigger. ;)

quote:
Originally posted by VWMAN

quote:
Originally posted by canvasbacksca

So, if the brid is on a tail wind, would you suggest to lead the duck 5 or 6'?

I would say to start at 4. But there are the other variables like wind, angle of the bird, shell velocity and most importantly following through the shot.

Experience and practice as there are far too many variables to give an answer, the shotgun has to be an extension of you and follow through. Try shooting some sporting clays, this will teach you alot about swing and follow through plus lots of free advice.

Scott

Vman
I agree with Scott there are too many variables to tell you how much lead to have . i have been shooting for 35 years ( wow ) and if i just killed a bird and you asked me how far i led it i would not be able to answer you i dont know it is all feel and instinct . iam a move mount shooter which means as soon as my gun hits my shoulder iam pulling the trigger once you shoot for long enough your brain just pulls the trigger . the best thing to do is get out and shoot ALOT skeet and spoting clays .Both Scott and Jello made a comment about stopping your swing this is also a great tip ! this is a very common mistake made by shooters it is important to keep swinging your gun swing through the target and keep your face down on the gun dont lift your head to watch the bird fall our the target break It sounds like you are a new shooter you just have to burn powder

" Thats 12 already ? count them again Larry "

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks