How do you search for perch

redriverguy

If the water is deep enough do you drive around until you find some perch on your graph or do you just pick a spot and anchor? Or do you drift until you locate some?

I usually use my Map on my graph and look for deep pockets or just mark em and anchor

I don't own a boat yet, but if I did or when I do, I know multiple different places on the lake where I'd be looking for them from Pt Stanley through to Hastings. What I've suggested to others is this.......1) look for a large grouping of other boats, odds are they may be on fish, or have had great success in that general area in the past. 2) Pay very close attention to what others have posted as far as depth, and general location, (not likely going to be an "X" marking the spot kind of post.) While not everyone is willing to give up that information, there are enough on this forum who are more than happy to do so. 3) When you're on the water, listen to your marine radio, you can pick up a lot of chatter from other people out there doing the same thing you are. 4) Above all else, once you're on some fish, if all of a sudden they shut off but the fishfinder shows you're still on them, be patient. They're still there, and if they don't want a full size minnow, try cutting them in half, thirds or quarters. If they still haven't turned back on within half an hour, then it might be time to try another spot but that other spot might be something as simple as moving 10 ft or as complicated as moving a few miles or more either shallower, or deeper.

Just take the person who wines the most stuff all your cannon balls you have in his pockets tie a long line to him and tell him two tugs on the rope means trow the anchor over if there's lots of fish down there and trow him over the back of the boat not the front the angor might hit him lol

When it comes to locating perch as @Stick would say "your fishfinder can be as handy as a pocket on a shirt." I locate first then drop anchor and if within 15 minuets not much is happening move. Sometimes your into them immediately but other times you may have to move several times until your picking up fish. Patience usually pays off. :)

If all else fails try a couple of hand grenades and when the dust settles scoop up the floaters with your landing net. ;):woot:

That’s a good question

With my first boat 16 ft misty river with 40hp
I drove south of Burwell port stopped at 42 fow and fished . If I didn’t catch anything I tried another spot . I used my cheap hand held gps and marked any spot we caught fish

I didnt and don’t look for perch
I stop at a spot and try it , if it’s good I mark the spot on the gps , if not I try another spot

My first trip to Hastings , I drove down looked at the map and said well this looks like Hastings and stopped . We dropped anchor and limited out in 2 hours. Marked the spot.
Haven’t caught anything at that spot again . Lol

Just go and fish , have fun
Keep looking for your Go to spot

Actually made it out for an entire hour yesterday. Out from selkirk. Perch school like crazy so your finder will light up. This is what chirp downvision should look like. Otherwise regular sonar will show tons of arches.1A1BAD2D-0E8E-4395-875C-EE4D787B33AE.jpeg

Very poorly apparently, first 2 attempts...... nada, third attempt...... 3. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::cry:

I don't think I have enough years left to justify that level of frustration, I'm sticking to Walleye from now on.

Yeah buying at the grocery store way cheaper! But if you are out in your boat, drift or move until you hit them. Tell everyone else you have temperature and current charts, someone told you this, someone told you that. Think back when you didn’t have gps, or apps, when you just went out and by “the grace of God” you found them. You were happy, the wife was happy, and you felt “remarkably intelligent “!

I keep tellin people, the fish, they live in that wet stuff under the boat or off the side or end of the pier......if they're there, and they want what's on the menu you're offering them, they'll grab it......if they don't......they won't.....but you for sure aren't gonna catch'em if you don't put that offering in that wet stuff they live in.....

Just follow Duck Soup

I dunno what his boat looks like. But I do know what Misty River's boat looks like, so if I ever get a boat of my own, I'll follow Misty River, until he puts it down and leaves me behind LOL.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks