How Do You Haul Out Your Deer (No Quad)?

trky chsr

I've been using a modified appliance cart (wider axil, bigger tires) and it works pretty well but it's still a lot of work. I've been looking at the Hawk Crawler Game Cart. It's pricey but it seems to do the job pretty well. What does everyone use and if you have used this cart what are your thoughts? TC

Glens deer handle. Look it up on Amazon but it does require some physical effort on the part of the operator

Ice fishing sled helps on flat ground..
there is deer drag harness I’ve used thought it made dragging a small deer out easy
Going up hill is never I always need help
Bucks my friend showed me even tho it’s tempting to tie onto the antlers
It’s best to tie back legs so the rack doesn’t dig into the ground

I am spoiled by having a Quad and a Cadaver trailer which will handle 3 good size deer if stacked properly. I replaced the little steel box on the Atv trailer with a wooden box that was used by airlines when they ship bodies back to the undertaker who just happened to be a friend of mine. Totally waterproof and comes with 6 carry straps. I did have to drill drainage holes in it. So that's all well and good but sometimes the deer don't drop on the trail and that's where having young guys in my crew come in handy along with a blaze orange drag harness for the main mule to wear and extra ropes for extra pulling power if needed. Most of my property is flat but the flooded woods can be a nightmare. So my advice TC is to get a youngster to mentor, your brains for his brawn ?

I have an ATV, but hunt a property with steep ravines that you cant get full access with an ATV. I also use an ice fishing toboggan but if its a big buck, then its work. I have quartered a few taking the front shoulders, rear hind quarters, backstraps, neck, and any meat from ribs. Tied it down and hauled..but no easy way.

I have two quads and a side by side with a bush burrow on it so all glens deer handle does for us is drags it outta the thickets to the closest machine. Which some places we hunt is at least a kilometre.

That Hawk Crawler Cart looks interesting. The "walking beam" axle is a good idea. I built an ATV trailer with a walking beam axle and it's amazing for heavy loads and rough terrain.
However, what I don't like on that cart is the mesh fabric to hold the load. How many years will that last? Unless you have a heavy duty sewing machine, how do you repair it? Will the critters chew on it when it's in storage especially after it get soaked in deer guts/blood etc?

These look better, in my opinion.

cheaper at Peavey Mart

I built my own cart a few year ago. The wheels are the weak point. The plastic spokes in the photo didn't last more than a few years. I now have heavier steel spokes. The larger diameter really helps. Besides deer, I use it for hauling a bag of decoys into a public marsh, firewood etc.

Hullet Hauler.jpg

Last edited:
That Hawk Crawler Cart looks interesting. The "walking beam" axle is a good idea. I built an ATV trailer with a walking beam axle and it's amazing for heavy loads and rough terrain.
However, what I don't like on that cart is the mesh fabric to hold the load. How many years will that last? Unless you have a heavy duty sewing machine, how do you repair it? Will the critters chew on it when it's in storage especially after it get soaked in deer guts/blood etc?

These look better, in my opinion.

cheaper at Peavey Mart

I built my own cart a few year ago. The wheels are the weak point. The plastic spokes in the photo didn't last more than a few years. I now have heavier steel spokes. The larger diameter really helps. Besides deer, I use it for hauling a bag of decoys into a public marsh, firewood etc.

View attachment 78497
Good points about the mesh on the Hawler. The Peavy Mart cart is pretty much what I have now, just a little larger. With this your still supporting the bulk of the weight which is what I'm trying to mitigate. TC

A hunting bud got one of the large snow scoops...added an axle and wheels..works great. Takes the axle and wheels off if its just snow. Cheap DIY alternative.
scoop2.jpg

Yes , take a couple young strong fella's with you ! ( Gun barres perhaps)
What he said…. My oldest boy and a deer cart in areas we can’t bring a quad into. I don’t know what brand mine is, and I haven’t used the one your asking about, but just about any cart is better than dragging in my experience. Of course there are a few spots you have to use a drag due to terrain!

Attachments

• D13FB0A0-F2FC-44A6-B36E-6794926DC1C4.jpeg
    D13FB0A0-F2FC-44A6-B36E-6794926DC1C4.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 43
Been using the Glens deer handle and the hawk crawler for years. Mesh on mine is as good as they day I bought it. The floating axle and pneumatic tires make it much easier to hop over logs etc. My only upgrade was to put a ton of slime in each tire as we have a lot of hawthorn at my property and its hell for flats. Now that Im a bit older I tow it with my quad or QuietKat ebike. Prior to the crawler I went through several two wheel carts, all of which were a pain the ass in one way or another. In the winter and if we are travelling light we just use the roll up plastic sleds they sell for kids. We punch holes in the side and criss cross tie the deer inside (front legs pulled up between the antlers) with parachute cord. pulls like a dream with the Glens handle. You get to a hillside and you can ride it down!!!

Ice fishing sled + quad unless I can drive close. Then it's tractor and bucket or was until the methheads stole the tractor and ice fishing sled. Lucky there was wheat in my main field this year. So maybe just drive the truck back. Fun stops when deer is down. I use a come along to get bigger deer into the truck by myself.

Thanks for the info. I talked to someone in a store who loved the crawler as well but it's good to get more input. I also use a plastic roll up sled and it does work great in the snow. Not too bad in leaves either but not in a field. TC
Been using the Glens deer handle and the hawk crawler for years. Mesh on mine is as good as they day I bought it. The floating axle and pneumatic tires make it much easier to hop over logs etc. My only upgrade was to put a ton of slime in each tire as we have a lot of hawthorn at my property and its hell for flats. Now that Im a bit older I tow it with my quad or QuietKat ebike. Prior to the crawler I went through several two wheel carts, all of which were a pain the ass in one way or another. In the winter and if we are travelling light we just use the roll up plastic sleds they sell for kids. We punch holes in the side and criss cross tie the deer inside (front legs pulled up between the antlers) with parachute cord. pulls like a dream with the Glens handle. You get to a hillside and you can ride it down!!!

I use an xl jetsled, plowed fields can be tough but on snow/leaves/ and rock up north it definitely helps a lot. I also like being able to set my backpack/jacket and guns in the sled while I’m dragging FA9172A7-392E-494D-B2A9-22AB2BCA5E58.jpeg

Or do what my friends do...they call me to show up with either the ATV or the Kubota....

Attachments

• kubota.jpg
    kubota.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 15
Mmmmmmmmm ? Maybe a part time job here ? Model it after CAA or Sea Tow ? Pile my ATV and gear on the trailer and call it DDT "Dead Deer Towing" ? My catch phrase could be "You drop em, we drag em !" or "You bag him, then tag him and we'll drag him" or "Get the most Bang for yer Buck ! Call DDT ! " or "The Buck may have stopped there but we don't !" I did consider calling it Venison Draggers but that came out as "VD" or Buck Haulers but that didn't sound inclusive.

I have a Hawk Crawler, 4 wheels on 2 axles that pivot, it will go over trees, rocks, etc. quite easily. It will handle a moose quarter, so no problem with a whole deer. The first time I used it I was alone and hauled out my deer with ease. I have a harness too, but there is no way I am dragging out a deer 1km by myself.

That mesh is more than durable enough, I'll be surprised if it doesn't last 20 years.

When there is snow, I just use a toboggan which I keep stashed in the forest.

1693187583730.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks